1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

360 starting /idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM
noise_maker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 starting /idle issue

I have a 98 Durango w/ a 360 and frequently it will not start with out giving it gas. When this happens I have to stay on the gas and keep the RPMs up over 800 for a about the first 2 minuets or it will just stall. After that it runs fine. If i sit and idle or just drive two footed for the first two mins its the same.

Its not every time i start it but its at least %50 of the time it acts this way.
Its been going on awhile now and i have noticed its not temperature or moisture sensitive and dosn't matter if the the engine is warmed up or not.

I have only had this truck for about 3 months and its been doing it the whole time. Since I bought it I have gone through it pretty good but this one still haunts me

I did a full tune up with plugs/wires/coil/cap & rotor. Cleaned the heck out of the throttle body and IAC. It shouldn't matter but I also replaced a few other things including both O2 sensors and CAT because the cat was plugged and they were both melted as well as the battery cables/ground straps and battery.

Although it runs WAY better now then when I bought it, this problem still haunts me.

I am trying to figure out where to go now with it now and want to try to avoid throwing parts at it. I was thinking it might be IAC valve or the TPS sensor.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

replace the IAC this is classic symptom of that part failing.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My 99 5.2L did the same thing once. I just took the battery terminals off for 30min to be sure it reset the computer, and it was fine after that.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery or a bad connection. Clean the terminals down to new metal and also the battery posts. Check the water in your battery, and fill to about the top of the plate, not the top of the battery with distilled water.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
noise_maker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a IAC and will install it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I have already tried the computer reset and battery is new. The cables are also all new and have good contacts all the way through. (starter, alternator, PDC and ground cables were all nasty when I got the truck so I replaced them all)

Quick Reply: 360 starting /idle issue