1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny issues: Master_Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
davebenn52
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a lot of material about adjusting the bands. Now that I understand what is going on this is a common problem and there are many sites feturing adjustment procedures. I would call a local shop but I live in a place where the gold mines take front seat, locals get the shaft. I feel confident in doing the adjustment (I get a new tool), it seems pretty self explanitory. I will be dropping my tranny pan again this weekend and replacing the filter and fluid with full synth. valve. and gasket.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are not already, use a mopar filter. Much better quality.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to agree, a lot of shops will not do a band adjustment. You have to shop around. Also taking in your own fluid, well that is the best idea. The shop I go to is reliable and backs up everything they do regardless, but that is VERY hard to find. Just because a specific "service" is stated in a manual, doesn't mean the shop will do each procedure as stated in the service manual, but rest assure they will charge you for the whole thing! That's why the purchaser has the power, but at the same time the purchaser has to know what they are buying before they buy. It's just like a transmission flush, it's simply a cheap easy way to try to get around the service manual, but they cause transmission failure. Buyer-be-ware!

Anyway, you can do the adjustment per the manual, but I stand by what I said in post #4.

+1 on a Mopar filter.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:45 PM
blochead84

be sure to check that there is still friction material on the band, that would make your efforts worthless. since you have dropped the pan already the extension bar didn't fall out i assume. the the servo needs about a 1/4 inch as stated previously, no less. it's much easier than most believe

Quick Reply: Tranny issues: Master_Tech