1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dvd player

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Irondime
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dvd player

Anybody put a flip down dvd player in their d? With the rear ac it would be a little far back for the mid seat but would work. I would like to put it under the rear ac but the screws might hit something important in there. Looking for ideas to run my wiring too.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. See my photos here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...dydurango.html

With the rear AC, where mine flipdown is, IS the norm positioning. They made aftermarket units (that are hard to find) which have a setup that actually melded over the rear AC as to where it mounted. When flipped down it still will block some of the vents.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 10-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Irondime
Rookie

Nice thanks. How'd u run the power,

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM
ecred

I figured i would revive this thread verses starting a new one. I am also wanting to put an overhead dvd player in my Durango. I am not concerned with the wiring just the hard mounting. I know Indy has a clean one installed, any one else have any pointers?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecred
I figured i would revive this thread verses starting a new one. I am also wanting to put an overhead dvd player in my Durango. I am not concerned with the wiring just the hard mounting. I know Indy has a clean one installed, any one else have any pointers?
There is nothing up under the headliner to bite into unless you want to go though the roof (atleast on mine) so i got a nice piece of wood, lowered the headliner and used some construction adhesive to glue the wood to the metal. I used some 2x4 to hold it tightly up there overnight and re installed the headliner the next day.

I still have to find some time to mount the system up there but, when i get around to it ill have a nice strong place to bite into.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
ecred

Thanks for the reply. I did not think there was any roof bracing in that area so i was thinking i would have to bond something to the roof panel. Would you care to elaborate on what products you used. I want to make sure the bond wont weaken as the vehicle goes through seasonal climate changes.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecred
Thanks for the reply. I did not think there was any roof bracing in that area so i was thinking i would have to bond something to the roof panel. Would you care to elaborate on what products you used. I want to make sure the bond wont weaken as the vehicle goes through seasonal climate changes.

The wood was just a piece of 3/4" plywood that i had laying around the garage and the adhesive was a tube of liquid nails from lowes. There are may versions for different applications and i went with the heavy duty version because it claimed to have a strong grip on heavy materials, water resistant and was for interior or exterior so i figured it could hold up to the hot or cold weather.

So far it seems pretty strong although there is not DVD player hanging off it yet. The headliner also provides a tiny bit of support so if the adhesive would fail (i don't think it will) it wont come crashing down on the kids head or anything, it just sink down a bit.

As for the wiring, i ran a separate fused line from the battery for the power and all the video and audio connections are ran to the back, down the piller, and into the storage compartment in the back. I did this so when we go camping i can grab our Directv box and my tri-pod mounted dish and have access to TV in the evenings. You can also have the ability to hook up gaming systems for the kids to play while your on a long trip if you wish.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here and same for Pres. Steve. Glue, Wood, Attach, done!

IndyD

Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
ecred

Thought i would update my progress, in case any one cares. I got my DVD player installed. I used Loctite quick set epoxy (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...-Quick-Set.htm) to bond 3/8' plywood to the roof, then simply ran my wires and mounted everything. I bought a Pyle unit, which came with a bunch of aux in and out RCA cables. I cut everything out except the power wires because i do not forsee ever using them and i did not want to fish the wires into the headliner. The only thing i am having problems with is getting the DVD's dome light to come on when the second row dome light is on (door is open). But that is not really that big of a deal at the moment.

Quick Reply: Dvd player