Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

honestly a power steering fluid flush is unnecessary IMO

Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
honestly a power steering fluid flush is unnecessary IMO
Indeed. My vehicle has 135,000 on the clock and I have only touched the fluid once when I replaced my high pressure hose in the system. For us technicians at a dealership the flush is more for the warranty that comes with the flush than the flush itself.

This is why no matter what dealership you go to, a power steering flush will be $50 to $100 cheaper than any other flush. Plus, it's a piece of cake to do with the right machine.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Magnum4406
Professional

I haven't done a flush on mine.....yet....but I only have 65k on it. If you want to do it, it wouldn't hurt. Rack and pinon steering seems more sensitive to crap in the system.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
brhodes
Professional

I've only had one R&P go bad, never had a power steering pump go bad ever. It happens, I'm told, but I think it's mostly due to abuse or neglect. Like I said in another thread, power steering pumps are pretty tough, as are steering boxes, whether rack and pinion or regular gearbox. They aren't subjected to stress, high temperatures, or extreme pressures, and tend to last almost forever. They aren't moving at high speeds or being turned by a few hundred horsepower, they just turn the wheels in a moderate arc, powered by your arms and assisted by the PS pump. What I'm trying to say is that they're extremely over-engineered, and unless they are mistreated, they just don't break, as a rule. No reason to "purge" the fluid (unless it becomes contaminated) because it isn't subjected to extreme pressures or temperatures and won't break down. So unless there's something I don't know (and of course this is always a possibility), you don't need to purge your PS fluid. If it gets low, find the leak, fix it, and fill it back up and leave it alone. It's one thing to want to take good care of your vehicle....that's commendable and shows discipline and character. It's quite another to be **** about it.

Quick Reply: power steering flush