1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 4.7 swap???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 PM
2ginns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 00 4.7 swap???

I started out doing the heads on a 00 durango 4.7 . Heads are bad & was driven til motor seized up. I pulled the motor (core charge) &was pulling the motor out of the salvage one, when I realized it was no good. There are NO others at the cheap or selfserve salvages &can only find 1 anywhere around but its for an outrageous price. The salvage did have a few other year durangos but the heads were totally different.
I have read several conflicting articles/posts on the internet, so I need to know point-blank... What other durango years will work???
Is there any or What other year/make/models 4.7 will work???
Ive seen stuff even saying some cherokees or dakotas will work. Ive even seen several saying some yrs Rams will swap. I just am really hoping to find out if true &what years, cause I am desperate.
Thank you very much for ANY & ALL assistance.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Is this your DD? Are you sure you want to do another 4.7?
Why not take the advantage and throw in a 4BT? hehe

Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 AM
2ginns

Its not mine. I didnt know how well anything other than the 4.7 would transplant without harness, ecm, tcm, etc etc, changed as well.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

I was just kidding really, cost waaaay more to swap a 4BT in then another 4.7 for sure. I am pretty sure that the 4.7 from the Cherokee would work...But you'll have to wait for one of the experts to confirm that.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
2ginns

Yeah, Ive seen alot about some of the yrs of jeeps are likely to fit. Dont know which yrs for sure though. Also was curious about talk of some dakotas & supposedly some Rams too. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

this is a tricky one bc the tone wheel was changed on them at some point and there is some question as to when that was, i believe 00 and 01 durangos w/ the 4.7 are the same.

same in the dakota actually, i would imagine the ram is the same as well, and i believe any jeep with the 4.7 eariler than this should work too (i know the 4.7 hit the jeep line up earlier than it did for dodge, im just not sure how much earlier),

in summary any 01 or older 4.7 SHOULD work, any 4.7 that is not HO can be made to work if you swap the tone ring from your engine into the replacement.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The tone rings changed out in mid 2001. If you look at the PCM it will either have a 3 plug or a 4 plug. Yours being a 2000 should just have a 3 plug and this means a 16 tooth system, whereas the 4 plug is a 32 tooth system (they went to 4 plug in late 2001-2003).

Now if you want to change out the motor from a 16 tooth to a 32 tooth or vise-verse you pull the tone ring on the crank and the passenger side head tone ring and interchange them. The motor is the same, just the 2 tone rings.

Here is where it gets tricky, I would only use a Durango or Dakota motor, stay away from Jeep or Ram. See the wiring was a bit different and I don't know exactly what is what. With that said, look at the PCM's on the and try to find one that is the same as yours then they will interchange with no issues at all.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Like hydra stated, stay away from anything other than a Dak or Durango engine. The Grand Cherokee 4.7 as far as the hoses and wiring is laid out, would be a larger PITA than it is worth, trust me been there done that. As for the Ram 4.7 it is setup much different than the Durango and you'd have to re-do mounts and such.

Long story short, as long as the tone rings match and it comes out of a Durango or Dakota, you'll be fine.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Like hydra stated, stay away from anything other than a Dak or Durango engine. The Grand Cherokee 4.7 as far as the hoses and wiring is laid out, would be a larger PITA than it is worth, trust me been there done that. As for the Ram 4.7 it is setup much different than the Durango and you'd have to re-do mounts and such.

Long story short, as long as the tone rings match and it comes out of a Durango or Dakota, you'll be fine.

change the wiring and hoses, you have to remove it to get the engine out anyway. im putting a 4.7 from a '00 grand into my '00 rango. theres a few differences but nothing you cant change over before installing.

off the top of my head this is whats different so far
-starter is on wrong side and different(change the plate between engine and tranny)
-different oil pressure sending unit possibly other sensors but not sure yet
-intake routes to filter on wrong side(the plastic box before the throttle body)
-oil pan is different(just the pan not the pickup)

Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

hydra, i have never seen a 2001 durango with the 4.7 and the 4 plug controller, afaik the 4 plug controller is the NGC (next gen controller) and this setup also does not have a TCM in it, i believe the switch was made during the 2002 model year.

Quick Reply: 00 4.7 swap???