1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
noman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump?

The last few weeks I've been hearing a noise coming from under the hood. Sounded like something was tumbling around inside the engine. I pulled the belt off and noticed the fan and the pulley was loose. I'm thinking the bearing is going bad. But I thought when that happens coolant will start to leak from the bottom of the water pump.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

coolant does not always leak out of the water pump when it goes bad if it wiggles then it needs to be replaced before it completely lets go and throws the cooling fan through the radiator. (iv seen picture sof it happening, dont make me see another set)

Old 11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
coolant does not always leak out of the water pump when it goes bad if it wiggles then it needs to be replaced before it completely lets go and throws the cooling fan through the radiator. (iv seen picture sof it happening, dont make me see another set)
Exactly, Sharpshooter. For coolant to leak out of the weep hole at the bottom of the pump housing, the bearing has to generate enough heat to ruin the shaft seal, or allow enough movement of the shaft to do so. This guy's simply hasn't (yet). I've had 2 vehicles toss a fan into the radiator during my lifetime. An old '73 Scout, and a '70 Roadrunner. Neither were leaking, or even making a racket when it happened.

NOMAN, If your pully is loose AT ALL, the bearing in the pump is bad, and you need to put on a new pump. The entire job takes maybe 1/2 hour, no big deal, and the pump is (if I remember right...I put one on mine a month ago) under $50. Do like this guy said and get it fixed ASAP, or there's a good chance you'll be buying a new belt and radiator along with the pump.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
noman
Professional

I thought that is what the problem was. I just never saw one do that. I looked for new pumps. I founnd one for $40 but it said to use extented life antifreeze only. Not sure why that is. I also for another for $50. Both at autozone.
I'm glad I looking into it at first I just firgured it was the ac pump since. Since it won't hold a charge I thought maybe something was going bad on that.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM
RebelX
Professional

also. take note of this now, well depending on your year. myself personally. i own a 98 5.9L. for me there were two water pump options. one with a bolt on pulley, one with a press on pulley. not hard to tell them apart.

since your replacing the water pump. might not hurt to do your intermediate hose also. its the little hose between the water pump and intake manifold. its only about 7 bucks. but worth the peice of mind as its a pita to get to since its under the ac/alt cradle.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM
noman
Professional

I have a 98 with 5.2L. I replaced that hose when last year when I did the plenum.
It was dry rotted and when I took it off it came apart. I think and hope its the bolt on make things a little easier.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
noman
Professional

I think it is bolt on cause last year I thought the fan clutch was bad. I tried taking the fan off and it seems like I unbolted the pulley thinking that would take the fan off.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
brhodes
Professional

I didn't have any problem taking off the press-on type. Whacked it once with a hammer and it turned right off, no problem.

You're not still driving that with a bad pump, are you, Noman?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
noman
Professional

My wife drove it once cause she needed to get the boys from school but thats just up the road a little ways. I told her unless its a must, not to drive it. Its a lot cheaper changing just the pump.
Funny thing is we were supposed to go up north last weekend. We backed out at the last minute. Now I'm glad we did.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Yes, fix it. When it happened to me it was like my belt exploded and tore up my hood lining and gosh, was a huge stinky mess. Luckily my radiator was ok, but I think I had a slow leak from it. I have since replaced the radiator...
The water pump replacement was easy, it looked horrible when he pulled it out the blade would not even spin. Yep, that bad...

Quick Reply: Water pump?