1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango Front End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM
mahansen81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango Front End Vibration

I have an intermittent vibration on the right front of my 2003 Durango sxt 4x4. I have not replaced the CV joint or wheel bearing yet, as i am still trying to diagnose. I have noticed that the output shaft from the differential is extremely loose(IMO). I have done searches and haven't been able to find much on this. I was thinking it was a bad bearing on the output shaft(intermediate shaft?) but from what i have found there is no bearing there. I may just start replacing parts(wheel bearing and cv shaft) but I have recently had the front end apart doing ball joints and these didn't seem bad at that time. The vibration occurs at relatively low speed 20-40MPH. The car has high mileage 200k+ so nothing would surprise me. I don't know if wheel bearings or CV's were done by the previous owner. I've found quite a few other posts where people replaced the cv and wheel bearing and still had the vibration. I replaced the front driveshaft last year so i know it's not that.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is only a bushing on the output, in fact when you go to replace the CV Half Shaft it comes out some times and you place the end of the CV in a vice so it slips but the bushing isn't actually in the vice so it doesn't get damaged and smack the end of the CV joint and knock it out of the bushing then slip it back into the front output housing.

It really does not sit in there all that great, in fact grab the passenger side and see if there is a difference, if so then replace the bushing.

It could be a tire out of balance as well so have that checked. If not replace the CV joint and check the bushing, but again the bushing isn't all that tight, in fact they are quite loose, not like a regular bearing tolerances like what you think.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango Front End Vibration