1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Selectable locker with Limited Slip clutches.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selectable locker with Limited Slip clutches.

Flipping through channels and I saw a selectable locker with LS clutches. First I have seen. Anyone else see this? I can't find it anywhere. Info on show or the actual product anyone? Acts like a LS when not locked. Would work well for Durango but I think they put it in a Jeep.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think your high........LOL

I think what you really saw was a locker that REPLACES a LS gearing then the gearing reverts back to an open. If you do find this link magically then please post it up!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

I was about to say...why would you have a locker and lsd???
Now if this was for the front of the D...id be interested lol. hahaha LSD front and rear!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Not me,

LS would make steering a b!tch on the front end.

Now a electrical locker would be sweet in the front and also the same on the rear, well at least for a 4X4 machine. Now if you just want to install a lunch box locker which is a straight mechanical locker that installs inside the larger spider gear sleeves of the LS carriers on the rear then that will give you a locked rear diff and open front which should be plenty enough for the average hard core wheeling.

Besides, you have to get larger tires and lift to allow articulation, so with that said I would do that first then move to a quick disconnect sway bar link, then to the diff's.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The new powerwagon has a e-locking lsd in the rear with e-locker in the front.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

I knew the mushrooms went bad. Now it showed the carrier with locker but it did have clutches also. It looked like the clutches got pushed together with applied electrical switch. It might be a new ARB. I like having ls around town and towing but to also have it full locked up would be nice since there is not a locker for ifs. Some how the axles can't take full lock up, reason why the 231hd has a switch to shut off 4 low with too much torque. Found out in sand towing Chevy HD four-door with trailer out, just reached down and held stick in gear till I had dragged it 100ft to solid ground.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

mushrooms
Say what?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Well, my Durango got the lift and 35s, no body lift. Have pinion bearing quitting on me so for the price of rebuild I was going from 3.92 to 4.56 gears. While in there a locker is an option. I lose the limited slip to what advantage of 10% OFF ROAD? I can get away with high gear for the most part and low if its a really big rock. This gives the rear the best of both worlds if they have it out. I run flat out in the desert and take it to Utah for fishing and shooting, still high desert just more trees.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Found the locker/lsd. Shop here has installed 5 and removed 4. One set locked up front and rear on freeway almost causing a fatal wreck.
Replacement of parts is not worth a life.

Last edited by lvphotos; 01-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Default Found it! Ha!

ECTED Max - Locker
The ECTED Max is a selectable traction device; an on/off switch is mounted near the driver. When “off” – the clutch pack (7), which is located behind the side gear (6) provides the limited slip mode. As torque increases, the separating forces within the differential gears increase, causing the clutch pack to be compressed and thereby providing bias torque to the high traction wheel – your performance limited slip differential action. When selected “on”, current is sent to the electromagnetic coil (8). The coil is retained by a clip that fits over one of the bearing cap bolts, making it non-rotational. The coil rides on a ball bearing (9). The ball bearings spin with the differential case (10).

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179

The coil creates a magnetic flux so that the pilot cone (1) is pulled into engagement with thedifferential case (10). This frictional engagement causes the bearing ***** (2) to ride up on a ramp machined into the side gear (3). This radial travel of the ***** (2) also causes lateral movement of the side gear (3). The lateral movement of the side gear (3) applies a force onto the center block (4). The center block (4) has an elongated hole that the center pin (5) fits through, allowing it to float. The center block (4) applies force to the opposite side gear (6), compressing the clutch pack (7) giving the user a solid axle assembly – the spool/locker performance you desire at the strip or off-road.

ECTED Max™ Advantages
ECTED Max gearing is made from aircraft quality, 9310 heat-treated billet steel to make it as tough as nails!
ECTED Max can be switched on or off “on the fly,” at any road speed.
ECTED Max does not have any shift forks or pins that must be lined up to obtain locker mode.
ECTED Max is quiet – say good-bye to noisy lockers!
ECTED Max is backed by an industry-leading one-year warranty, just like all Auburn Gear Performance Differentials.
ECTED Max is backed by the industry-exclusive program. D-REX = Differential – Replacement EXchange Program.
ECTED Max can be used in front axle applications – with or without lockout hubs.
ECTED Max is the only selectable locker that offers both limited slip and locker modes. Forget the rest - go with the best!

Important Note: The ECTED Max is not recommended for use in front axles that feature an "Inter-Axle Disconnect."

In the product configurations offered, ECTED Max is the only selectable locker that offers both limited slip and locker modes. For get the rest - go for the best

Quick Reply: Selectable locker with Limited Slip clutches.