1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Anyone Know What Pulley This Is???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Bimmer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Know What Pulley This Is???

I've been hearing a inconsistent sort of scraping noise. Not like water pump or anything like that but it's been doing this since Saturday night. I was going to have it looked at tomorrow morning but then tonight less than 2 miles from home I heard something give under the hood and my power steering went out. The truck still ran but the noise was now gone. I pulled off into a parking lot and I noticed the serpentine belt was off. Then I saw this pulley had come off and lodged itself between the block and a bracket after it came loose. I retrieved the pulley, put the serpentine belt on the floor in the rear and drove the truck the remaining 2 miles home very cautiously. So, I need to replace this pulley but I don't know what it goes to. I took a picture of where it came off from. It's the left-most pulley that sit directly below where the oil dipstick handle is. That yellow you see at the top center is the dipstick handle. It looks like all I need to do is remove the single bolt and replace the pulley. Sound correct to you? Now if I just knew what pulley to ask for. I does take a serpentine belt as it has all the outer grooves.

Thanks Fellas!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tensioner Pulley. Replace the pulley AND the spring section behind it. While you can get just the pulley, you can also get it as all one buy at AutoZone for like $50.

IndyDurango

Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Its the fan belt tensioner. Just like indy had said.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I to am in need to replace that too started squeeking awhile ago.. waiting till after Christmas so i have a warm place to do it since me and auto repairs under 40 degrees don't get along very well....

I don't drive much so i should be fine till then... but, was wondering is it hard to do? any tricks?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy, unbolt from the lower side (not shown) when replacing the spring and all as one unit.

If you cheap out and just replace the pulley, make sure you don't over tighten to strip the one bolt when putting the new one back in place. As Dad taught me," tight is tight and to tight is broke."

Stripping it myself was the reason I replaced the whole thing on mine in the first place. Only after did I notice it was better to replace the 12 year old spring anyways so all worked out well in the end.

IndyDurango

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Easy, unbolt from the lower side (not shown) when replacing the spring and all as one unit.

If you cheap out and just replace the pulley, make sure you don't over tighten to strip the one bolt when putting the new one back in place. As Dad taught me," tight is tight and to tight is broke."

Stripping it myself was the reason I replaced the whole thing on mine in the first place. Only after did I notice it was better to replace the 12 year old spring anyways so all worked out well in the end.

IndyDurango
I was thinking the same thing... mines put in almost 14 years of good service so why not just replace the whole thing and be done with it... i been doing that thinking with most things when they wear, replace what i can while im in there.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i had to replace that whole thing too... you can do it from the top its just kinda a pain. replace the whole thing... its better that way.. plus after 12 years that spring was all gummed up and limpish

Quick Reply: Anyone Know What Pulley This Is???