1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical problem, radio and trip odometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 PM
a_leafer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem, radio and trip odometer

Okay, here is what I call the wierdest of problems.
1999 Durango 4x4 SLT with 2 wheel (rear only) ABS.
My radio has very weak or no power to it, 1 volt. And my trip odometer resets to 0.0 everytime I turn off the ignition.

Here is the story.

It is now Tuesday afternoon.

This last Saturday as I was driving down the street at 40MPH when both dash lights for the ABS and Brake come on. I have some experiance with auto systems and own a ODBII device so this really didn't bother me to much as everything seemed to be running and braking just fine along with the fact that the lights go out upon turning off the ignition but only come back after reaching 40MPH. I first checked the fluid level and level device, they were both okay. Then I visually checked the fuses, okay also. Got out the OBDII stuff and no codes were found either new or stored. As it was late Saturday I didn't drive it until Monday morning. Monday, took it in to a car-x station for a state inspection and didn't ask them about it (not those guys) and since they don't test over 40MPH it passed, flying colors. Went to the dealer after that and got a new ABS sensor for the differential. On the way home and before I installed it, I noticed the lights no longer came on at the usual 40MPH. Went to hook up the ODB again and noticed that the last time I had removed the ODB plug outer portion of the DIN had come out with the cable. So as I reached for it to re-install the plastic part some of the wire ends must have touched as there was a brief spark. I then disconnected the battery (to late I figure) re-assembled the ODB DIN port checked all the fuses and reconnected the battery. Started up, no problem, no errors, but the above issues. ABS and Brake still work as I have done a console diagnostic (holding down the odometer reset while turning to key to ON and releasing) and the normal test at startup.

fuse block radio fuse has power but no (real) power to the radio (with the ingniton on).
Ground is good at radio.
Trip odometer still works just resets to 0.0 upon shutdown.

well?

a_leafer@sbcglobal.net

PS. ground to everything is good

Old 08-23-2005, 06:48 AM
mrmidnight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrical problem, radio and trip odometer

Beings a former aircraft electrician for the navy sounds like you killed the stuff after the fuse (obviously). SOmething in the constant circuit went bad for all 3 of those systems. try disconnecting the battery and doing a resistance check from the battery cable, to the radio constant, should be the yellow wire if it is in the code. I think you check the battery, I may be mistaken. But anyway when the spark happened it could have caused a small fire in the said systems and disconnected the wires. check the entire wiring harness, it will be frustrating at first but you'll be glad in the long run. OR you poped the total constant for everything, beings that the trip odometer isn't anything that should be a worry about changing (according to the law) it will reset, but the odometer needs to only go up, it will stay correct even if you try to mess with it.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Electrical problem, radio and trip odometer

Your PMC might be going out. Have it checked.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem, radio and trip odometer