1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Plenum Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
DLJ
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot Hydrashocker, I got the black permatex from US (import) and Dorman kit.

I think the serie of videos below is a great guide to the 1st trip DIYs:

He did put in the Hughes kit and still had to re-do it soon because the bolts got loose.

Dorman kit comes with bolts that already have some sort of adhesive I think but I`d use the RTV too.

I also have heard alot about fel-pro being much better than Dorman, but I`d spend about $200+ to get that and I am more concerned about the intake gaskets from Dorman, has anyone ever used a real thin coat of RTV on both sides of the intake gaskets as well?

Any more feedback on Dorman plenum re-seal kit?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, you do not need to use gasket sealant on the intake other than to seal the corners. You need to make sure the intake surface is cleaned up and nice and smooth. If you have pitting around the water jackets you might want to use just a tad.

Once on an old 427 cobra jet I had to use sealant front and back but I installed an Edelbrock intake, well they were a bit high front and back.

No info on the Dorman product. I just pulled mine and re-sealed with a new gasket and OE.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM
DLJ
Amateur

Tanks again, I am still waiting for the re-seal kit from Dorman to arrive, if the gaskets look ok I guess I'll try Dorman.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Intake port mod

Oops, didn't mean to post.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Snowfan
Professional

The problem of gaskets blowing out is caused by a lack of clamping force from the plenum pan bolts. The OEM bolts are too long and bottom out in the plenum. No need to buy a plate, just grind off the unthreaded portion of the bolts or buy some shorter bolts. The dissimilar expansion and contraction of the 2 metals is not an issue.

Quick Reply: Plenum Gasket Replacement