1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

amplifier installation ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
ebwarrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question amplifier installation ideas...

well i am wanting to run the power wire for an amp i want to install but im not sure whats the best way to run it, the battery sits on the drivers side and im not really sure where i could drill in the firewall to run it under the carpets, or run it straight under the car, but needs something to protect the wiring.....

what would be your ideas on what i could do, and if so could you please gimme a lil tutorial on how to do it, ive never installed one in a SUV, only neons and other small cars. thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran my power wire through the existing grommet in the fire wall, it took some cutting of that grommet. Then I took out the seats (front and rear) which is quite easy. The panel around the doors are pretty easy to remove, start with the center pieces on the bottom they just snap out. Then I ran the wire to the rear compartment (where the 3rd seat is normally would be) via the channel down the center of the vehicle along with the rca lines coming from my head unit. Keep in mind I ran all new speaker wires to my doors from the amp too (5ch with sub). Currently working on a second sub .

Name:  durango008.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  108.1 KB

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

like adukart said run the wire through the grommet for the gear selector cable.

adukart, does your durango only have 5 seats?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

yep, only 5. My uncle ordered it like that in 97, they are kinda rare. I like the extra compartment though.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I knew that it was an option but I'd never even seen a picture of a 5 seat one until you just posted that pic. I guess that extra compartment makes a great place for speakers.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM
ebwarrior

iight, ill try it this weekend, thanks for the replies, will prob upload pix to show my progress

Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Dirtrango
Professional

Originally Posted by adukart
Then I ran the wire to the rear compartment (where the 3rd seat is normally would be) via the channel down the center of the vehicle along with the rca lines coming from my head unit.
I hope the RCA's are on the other side of the tunnel from the power wire. The reason i say this is you could develop a whine or worse coming out your amp and causing the sub and speakers harm. it is common pratice to run them apart as to keep the RCA's and speaker wires from getting electrical NOISE in them.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Yes dirtrango the rca's are on the other side of the tunnel from the power wire. I am well aware of electrical interference but good you brought it up, I forgot to mention that.

Quick Reply: amplifier installation ideas...