1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking for advice on thermostat gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GarageVarmint
An afterthought - if the housing surface is slightly warped or a hairline crack exists - its not that expensive to replace. Maybe 10 to 15 bucks.
That could also be a big factor. Or a bolt as well like previously stated. Just take your time with it and observe it sure enough youll see whats causing the leak

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya maybe ill let it keep leaking till sat and ill fix it again and let it sit through sun before starting it back up.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah surfing the web on phones sucks. You can replace that hose with the housing to see if thats it. Now when you take it off next time clean the surfaces real good with a scratch pad. Make sure to put a rag in the hole so a bunch of crap doesn't get in the system.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Make sure it actually is coming from the T-stat housing. I could be running down the hose. Did you remove the hose from the housing? If so, maybe your hose clamp is not tight enough.

How long did you let the rtv cure before you tightened the bolts? You should always snug it up then let it cure for a while before you torque the bolts down in order to create a good seal.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:29 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Well went ahead and fixed it today and I guess the third time is a charm. The stupid paper gasket was soaked through and the sealant I had on before didn't do a thing.

The fix: went and bought some thermostat/water pump gasket maker and just used that (went a little heavy on the stuff) and tightened it up and let it sit a while before work and when I got to work I was happy to see that there was no coolant leaking out. It's about time.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM
otgarzā
Captain

Nice! Glad you got rid of the leak

Old 01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I was about to say are you gonna have to resort to duct tape pretty soon.......... LOL Glad you got it fixed.

Sad part is there is a beautiful 2002 D R/T in the salvage yard hear that has the motor seized, so I popped the hood looking for performance goodies and the upper radiator hose was made of duct tape pretty much

Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Originally Posted by adukart
I was about to say are you gonna have to resort to duct tape pretty soon.......... LOL Glad you got it fixed.

Sad part is there is a beautiful 2002 D R/T in the salvage yard hear that has the motor seized, so I popped the hood looking for performance goodies and othe upper radiator hose was made of duct tape pretty much
Lol thats freakin crazy!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on thermostat gasket leak