1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

removing front axle shafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing front axle shafts

how do you get the front axle shafts out of the diff? are they suppose to pop out with some pry bar action? or do I need to pull the cover and remove c-clips?

need to get the axle out so I can get the pan off and pull the damaged piston so I can inspect the skirt for cracks.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They pull out. The 6" shaft on the end may come out too but it won't hurt anything.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

so keep wiggeling the axle and lightly prying on it with the prybar? used to axle shafts on front wheel drive cars that pop out of the transaxle with minimal effort

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Mine were pretty difficult to get out too. I had to do a lot of banging and prying. You'll want to be careful not to damage the boots or the shafts themselves though unless you are replacing them.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

finally got them out. pry bar to put lots of pressure on them, that a whack with the calibrated tapometer and it popped of the clip hold it in place.

unbolting the non factory upper ball joint from the upper control arm you can get the axle out without remove wheel bearings or splitting any ball joints

Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

quick question on this...
I was going to try and tackle this but the big nut you have to take off from the out side that is a size 32mm or something stuck. So I went to my mec and he said it take 3-4 hours to do the job and would cost around $200 if I got my own part!
I have talked to people and it seems that it only takes mabey 1.5 hours...what do you guys think?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

the nut is 1 1/4 inche. you are wanting to change the front axle shafts? I already had the plastic skid plates off from the engine swap so I dont know if they are in the way of getting prybars to the diff to seperate the axles from diff, might need to remove the skid plate.

honestly if you know what you are doing, have the tools, and already have upper ball joints that have been replaced with bolted on ones(factory were riveted) should be able to have both sides replaced in 1.5-2 hours not counting skid plate if that has to come off. I had to go borrow some tools, skid plate already off, and I had both sides out in 2 hours including drive up the hill to my father inlaws to borrow a couple sockets.

I have to keep it looking like a complete vehicle due to local bylaws so I bolted it back together and put the wheels back on, another 5 min and new axles would have been in.

Quick Reply: removing front axle shafts