1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd - Leaking coolant - possibly the Water Pump? No Weep hole?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintfromTexas
So how do you get to that bypass hose? Do you have to pull the A/C compressor and the waterpump? I believe that is where I have a leak also and have already replaced the waterpump thinking it was a blown waterpump gasket.
What engine do you have? On my 5.2 (had to change it last weekend) you take the six or so bolts off the bracket that the alternator and the a/c compressor bolt to and you can get to it. Wasn't very complicated at all. While you're doing that you may as well replace the stupid factory hose clamps with some worm screw hose clamps. Another thing you could do while you have that off is swap in a 180 degree thermostat in place of the factory 192 degree one since these engines were initially meant to have a 180. I did and the engine seems more "perky" now that its running cooler, especially with all the heat in SC.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a nipple on both water pump and intake manifold with little room between them on the 5.2L and 5.9L engine. It is easier to remove the water pump, replace it, and install a new bypass hose while your at it. To just replace the bypass hose is kinda hard because of the clearance between the 2 nipples.

Also I always replace the lower radiator hose while I have the system dry because it's a pain to replace them again when they fail, seeing that you already have it mostly out anyway I just replace it. The upper hose you can replace anytime with little effort.

Anyway for sake of the thread I will say that the heater hoses are 5/8" ID size. I also always replace the stupid dealership clamps with worm gear clamps, and I like stainless steel ones to boot, but each to their own.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
There is a nipple on both water pump and intake manifold with little room between them on the 5.2L and 5.9L engine. It is easier to remove the water pump, replace it, and install a new bypass hose while your at it. To just replace the bypass hose is kinda hard because of the clearance between the 2 nipples.
I just replaced my bypass hose without replacing the waterpump last weekend (apparently 2 weeks ago when my waterpump gave out and I replaced it the bypass hose tore from taking it off the old pump and I didn't notice it since it was on the back of the hose). It was slightly annoying trying to get the bypass hose over both nipples, but it sure wasn't worth taking off the waterpump in my mind, especially since it had only been on there a few days. Now if your waterpump has an assload of miles on it replacing it might not be a bad idea while you're at it and it does make replacing that hose a little easier.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
ClintfromTexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 5.9L and I did replace the water-pump last week thinking it was the gasket leaking. 225k miles so even if it wasn't I am good with having replaced it. And yes, I used the screw hose clamps, I hate those spring clamps too. I am just having trouble getting to that short hose, but hope to conquer it today. I did go ahead and replace the thermostat with the 180, and the radiator hoses. This car has been great, bought it with 18k, and have had relatively few problems while putting over 200k miles on it.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
that_guy
Champion

If you need some picture guidance there are links to service manuals in the diy section. You should post some pics in the show us your durango thread

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd - Leaking coolant - possibly the Water Pump? No Weep hole?