1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd - Leaking coolant - possibly the Water Pump? No Weep hole?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
clarehills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd - Leaking coolant - possibly the Water Pump? No Weep hole?

Hi,
I have a 2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd that is leaking coolant. I have been all over it with a flashlight trying to find the origin of the leak which seems to be coming from the front of the engine but cant find the leak.

I suspected the water pump and took off the reservoir to try locate the weep hole but can not find it. I then went to autozone to get a replacement water pump so that I might be able to see where the weep hole was located but the replacement did not have one!

Does the stock water pump not have a weep hole? If so, where would the water pump likely leak from?

Thanks for any advice!
Clarehills

Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
crawlin95
Professional

Could also be the t-stat gasket look around where upper water neck bolts to intake.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

There is a weep hole, but you won't be able to see it. I would go ahead and replace the water pump before the pulley becomes so loose it wobbles the belt off. Also, replace the bypass hose, thermostat and belt.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. There is always a weep hole. That is how waterpumps are made.

IndyDurango

Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
mackgraham
Amateur

I had a mysterious coolant leak a few weeks ago. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a thing!! I thought it was the water pump but it turned out to be a small hole in the hose that comes out of the top of the water pump. I would definitely check that before replacing the pump. Your fan will have a lot of play in it if the pump is going out.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mackgraham
I had a mysterious coolant leak a few weeks ago. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a thing!! I thought it was the water pump but it turned out to be a small hole in the hose that comes out of the top of the water pump. I would definitely check that before replacing the pump. Your fan will have a lot of play in it if the pump is going out.
+1. Theres always the possiblity that you look right around the problem. Search a bit and like he said usually with the pumps there will be play with the fan.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mackgraham

Good call. That little hose is often overlooked and is a PITA to get to.

IndyD

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
clarehills

Brilliant information, Thanks! I wll check up on all that stuff and report back what I find
C

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

If you are going to tear it down to get to the bypass hose, you might as well replace the pump. It will fail eventually anyway.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
rollin_99
Rookie

^^^+1
That hose is a pita.
When I did my Wp I replaced the fan clutch too (that may have been over kill) but if it's a pita to get at, replace as many parts as possible. Save your self a headache, "Do it all once and forget about it".

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 5.2L 2wd - Leaking coolant - possibly the Water Pump? No Weep hole?