1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fuel Pump giving out???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
bquinn1310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump giving out???

Ugh!! Ok, so my '03 Durango w/5.9L has been garaged since the last time it pulled this stunt...couple months ago.
Driving down the road the thing just stalls out, no warning, no rhyme, no reason. I notice the fuel pump doesn't sound like it's running (so, while traffic finds ways around me) so I crawl under it and bang on the tank heartily, a few times. All of a sudden I hear the pump running again so I hop in, fire it up and nurse it home (about 3.5 miles). Everything "appears" ok until I go to drive it a couple of days later. Get it out of the driveway, head down the street and it starts to sputter...I manage to get it pointed back toward the house at least and end up parked on the side of the road. After much banging, sweating, cursing, etc. nothing appears to work so I get it pushed up into my garage.
Not willing to be fooled again I changed out the fuel pump relay (just in case) and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Went out to the garage today and lo and behold...turned the key on and sure enough...fuel pump humming. Started it up and let it run about three minutes and it stopped again. Won't restart.
I know it SOUNDS like a fuel pump...I just really don't wanna have to drop that dang tank if I don't have to.
Any ideas/suggestions/anything I might have missed? Let me know please.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

fuel pump or loose ground/connectors your going to have to start tracing wires, if they are all good its the fuel pump

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
fuel pump or loose ground/connectors your going to have to start tracing wires, if they are all good its the fuel pump
+1. It sounds like a pain but if you want it to work it may have to get done.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

To check the connection, you going to need to lower the tank. You may as well buy a new pump and install it. You could also have a clogged fuel filter too.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep,

Your going to have to lower the tank to check it either way. It really isn't that hard!

The tank is polyurethane (so plastic) and light in weight. All you have to do is disconnect the filler, then lower the tank a bit by loosening the straps, reach on top and disconnect the electrical and lines and drop. I did mine with a 1/2 tank or so and it was easy, just be ready for the fuel to go to one side or the other which ever side is downward facing at the time. Drop it to the ground and remove the pump assembly.

Take the fuel out leaving just a tad for a rinse out, replace the pump and seat it down, scoot it back under and bolt it back up. Should only take you about 1 hour in real time.

Seeing that you need to drop the tank I would just replace the pump anyway and be done with it. Also check the harness for corrosion and vacuum lines for cracks.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump giving out???