1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
BeatYorFace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 durango wont start

I am a new user. Went to the gas station the other day and when I came out of the store and went to start it up, it just would not fire up. It wouldnt even try as if there was either no spark or either no gas. Truck has been running great. I have AAA so i towed it home. Checked out fuses, loose wires, etc. I have been reading all over this forum about this topic. I have settled on maybe the fuel pump. I could not here the pump all though I didn't have anyone to help turn the key. I checked the valve at the fuel rail for gas and nothing came out, not even a drop. 200$ avg. for a pump. I want to be sure before I drop it in. Some replys and and other possible solutions would help. Any IDEAS.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

check for the ASD relay and for any other relay marked fuel pump, also check fuses.

if there is not fuel pressure at the rail the pump is not running, the question is why, so the first thing to check is the wiring so do that and get back to us, swap the ASD relay with another of the same type and see if you can hear the pump come on.

btw if you sit in the truck w/ the door open and turn the key on you should be able to hear the pump prime

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
BeatYorFace

Swapped out the ASD relay which I assumed was the automatic s/d. Still nothing. But is that rite that I didnt even have a drop of fuel come out. I checked for wires and connections in the morning but did not look down under at the gas tank. Where the relays are at there are fuses that look like theres a ring inside. How do i tell if theyre blown. Im assuming the ring would break but wouldnt hurt to ask. I didnt want to swap them incase there was someting wrong that would only blow another one. I think I'm probally gona end up with the pump. But ill have a few days to try to figure it out before the pump comes in

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Magnum4406
Professional

If the pump is bad sometimes if you give the bottom of the tank a couple wacks it might start. You should be able to hear it hum for a few seconds when you turn the key on. If it does start that way...Don't think it is fixed..it won't last long. Sometimes we get lucky at the shop and they will run long enough to get them pulled in without pushing.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
BeatYorFace

Wanted to clear up that i didnt want to swap the fuses i was talking about. not the relays. i swapped the relays.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
BeatYorFace

I gave the tank a few wraps with a hammer in a few different areas....nothing. I've had a fuel pump go before in my buick but got lucky because i didnt check anything out I just didnt hear the pump so replaced it. But whatever ideas i get helps...thanx nyways though.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the two options for checking fuses is an ohm meter (or continuity tester, basically the same thing)

or swap the fuse, i would use a continuity tester myself and check the fuses in question

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
kantczk

Try and straight power the pump before you take it in to see if it works

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Spray starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it tries to start, if it does then it's fuel.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Spray starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it tries to start, if it does then it's fuel.
+1 this simple test knocks out so many other possibilities.

Quick Reply: 2000 durango wont start