1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

trailer light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer light wiring

I think my trailer hitch must have been OE(although I dont see anything about tow package on the window sticker that came with it when I bought it) or installed by the dealer as the 7pin trailer plug says chrysler on it. anyway I tried one of those 7pin to 4 pin adapter plugs to be able to tow my utility trailer and the trailier lights would not work. if it is OE or dealer installed would it be setup to go 4wire trailer plug with a little wiring or would I need to buy one of those convertor boxs that takes the signal and brake and puts them into one bulb?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way would be to buy one of those wire harness that plug into the rear tail lights.. that would give you the four way.. then you could buy a 7 pin plug to mount on the bumper connect the four way plug and then all you would have to do is run wires for the trailer brake, constant 12v, and the reverse lights...

here is a diagram how the 7 pin is wired

Here is the plug you need for the 7 pole....

Personally, mine is wired for 6-pin because all your really missing from 6-7 pins is the reverse light wire...I do have a 6 to 7 pin pigtail in the truck just in case i run into a trailer with 7 pin

Last edited by Old_School; 02-22-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: trailer light wiring