1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

So it begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
If you want a show truck then yes add them, but if you want a good city driver, tow machine, or a hill driver then stay away! Also I have found ceramic dusts just less then semi/metallic, but it still dusts.
+1, after 20,000 miles on my front brakes after I switched to ceramic pads, as much as I tow keep in mind, the front pads were cracked horribly (much worse than the pads normally are after that much).

Also adding to what the others said, yes it is recommended that when switching to ceramic pads that you upgrade your rotors, preferably to a slotted rotor to dissipate the heat better! This is what I did but I still found heat fractures all over the pads with my heavy braking when towing...

Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
NHWheelin
Amateur

The heaviest I will be towing is a couple of quads. I will look into the Duralast Gold when it comes time to replace these pads.I mainly bought them because I was sick of a full pads squealling like it was down to nothing and the front end nose diving when you thought about touching the brake pedal.

Well looks like I will be flying solo since both my friends have to work. O well it will be in the 60's and sunny all weekend so I will be a curbside mechanic

Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah a couple of quads shouldn't stress the braking system too much. I was pulling about 9,000# 2 hours at a time down back roads in the hills of Tennessee. I put ceramic pads when I had my neon on the front and liked them. Enjoy!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i am under the impression that ceramics were recommended for towing bc they either heated up less or handled the heat better (not sure on which it was now) and that they provided better, more consistent braking.

here it is

These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=88

Quick Reply: So it begins