1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering column shift boot replacement (2001-2003)(New Interior)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Steering column shift boot replacement (2001-2003)(New Interior)

I am not responsible for any mishaps while you are wrenching, knuckle busting, throwing tools, kicking vehicles, stomping, whining, drinking, or possession of you or your rig by any entity....... Always consult a manual before attempting any wrenching and I advise you to stay within your skill set. If you’re expanding your skills, work on the easy stuff 1st to gain skills and the necessary scars on the hands to fall into the "working man/woman" category.

Grade 2 job (easy)

Problem: the rubber shift boot around your gearshift lever is torn and is no longer effectively keeping the lubrication in to the mechanism and the dirt out, this can result in sticky shifts, it can aggravate the stuck in park in the cold problem and all around looks UGLY

Solution: replace the boot,

Part #: 05018971AA (this number is valid as of 3/16/2012, if it is superseded the parts dept computer should know that and this number should still work, this is a dealer only part, and cost me $14.68 including tax)

Part Description: BOOT, Gearshift

Tools Required
  1. Screw Driver
  2. 3/4in Speedbore
  3. Vice Grip Pliars

Step 1) Buy the gearshift boot from your dealer, mine took about 4 days to come in, i didnt care since i was home for the time and it was cheap enough

Step 2) when you get home shut off engine and set e-brake, you will need to be able to run the shift handle through all the gears for this job.

Step 3) remove ring that holds the OD off button in place, a screwdriver into the crevice should pop it out very easily

Step 4) remove button from handle (just pull the button out)

Step 5) remove momentary switch (this is under the button and has 2 wires going to it), this is most easily done with the shifter in first gear. as this gives the wires the most slack to pull out

Step 6)once switch is pulled out open the latch and remove the wires (the latch is a hinged piece which clamps on the wires, just release the catch that is between the two wires on the end of it)
(sorry about the lack of a picture, its hard to manipulate the switch and take a picture at the same time and i was flying solo today)

Step 7) remove shifter end. this sounds simple, but for me it was far from it, the plastic switch container is splined onto the metal shaft, i was able to get it off by spinning the handle while pulling on it off the end, however you SHOULD be able to just pull it off the end and be done with it, ill cover my method (if you do this and have tips for the correct method let me know and i will GLADLY add them)

I used a makeshift tool to spin the switch container, this tool consisted of a 3/4in speedbore drill (wood drill) and a pair of vicegrips as a handle

take this a put it into the end where the switch came out of, this bit will span the ribs inside of cylinder while the vicegrips will give you the necessary leverage to spin the handle.

now after you get it spinning you should be able to spin it with one hand while you pull on the end with the other (pull towards the passenger seat), keep working it until it comes off the end.

Step 8) Grease the mechanism in order to keep it working properly, make sure that you work the grease in a little bit. I used brake grease on mine, i suggest white lithium grease however we did not have any, use whatever you prefer.

Step 9)Place the new shift boot (shown above) onto the shift handle after turning it right-side out.

Step 10) slide the boot all the way up and snap it into place in the column.

Step 11) Push the OD button container onto the shift lever making sure that the OD off text is in a position you are happy with (i marked mine with whiteout when removing), tap LIGHTLY into place with a wrench or hammer.
(i dont think a picture is necessary but i didnt have 3 hands to take one of this step)

Step 12) Shift into first gear and pull the OD toggle wires as far out as you can (first gear gives you the most slack)

Step 13) reinsert the wires into the momentary switch and snap the cover closed. and push the assembly all the way into the handle.

Step 14) place the button into the handle making sure that the od cycles on and off in the dash with the button, if not repeat step 13 until your od cycles with every press of the button.

Step 15) snap the ring back into place to hold the OD switch in place, be careful as this ring will only fit in one way, it is keyed so that the single rib goes down if your OD off text is installed pointing towards you.

keys to

you are now finished.

go enjoy a beer for a job well done!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent write up Sharps!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:25 PM
joe pat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift boot replacement

Had same problem.Your instructions where great. I could not get shifter end off at all. Did not want to damage anything with too much force.Decided to just try to slip the boot over the ****.It worked no problem. The new boot did not split or crack in any way.If you leave it inside out you can carefully roll it over the ****,I guess you could coat it with a small amount of dish soap to help it slide.I did not use any.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering column shift boot replacement (2001-2003)(New Interior)