1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake pad questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the only pads that will create less dust (at least less visual dust) is to switch to ceramic pads which chew up rotors alot faster, they create a lighter colored dust which does not show up as bad.

the only reason that they would create MORE dust is if your brakes are not releasing all the way, and you would definitely know if that was happening bc your gas mileage would be down, and the wheels/rotors/rims would be very hot after driving

Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never seen a set of Duralast GOLD series dust like what your saying. Now if they gave you the regular Duralast then yes they will dust like crazy. In fact I can go take a pic of mine on my truck and on my car which I haven't washed for around 2 months and there is just a very slight dinge.

The Golds are a mix of ceramic/regular, however they call them ceramics, however they also sell a full Ceramic which dusts like crap as well. I think you got one of the others for some reason?

It might be the wax maybe your using? I never wax or shine.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-15-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I still have the box so I just went out to the garage and checked it, and it says duralast gold on it. The pads look identical to what's on the box, so I'm pretty sure that they're golds.

I haven't used tire shine or anything else like that on the wheels in a long time (I think the tires look smaller when they're shiny ).

I just washed my truck yesterday morning and after some normal around town driving since then you can see some dust already on the wheels.

Other than the dust they're great pads though. They stop the truck fine, unlike that craptastic valucraft pads that were on it for a short time (money) that couldn't even make the wheels lock up if you stood on the pedal (trust me, I tried).

The brakes aren't dragging or anything, so I guess the pads just like to make dust.

Either way I'm glad I followed your recommendation and got these pads. I guess I just have an excuse to wash my truck more often then.

Here are pics of the box and the pads on the truck.

(Ignore the writing on the box. I did that so I'd remember that I put the crappy valucraft pads in there.)

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are the only person I know of that has ever had any issue with them, and I know a lot of people! I think you have a different issue that is causing your issue or something. And here are mine!

I have washed the car 1 time in 6k miles! The truck, well not sure on it but it's been a VERY long time and many tows including my 9000 lbs trailer and 4 wheeler in the back going down like 13 percent single lane mountain passes over 3k feet and done that 3 times, as well as 2 trips a long tow with my 4500 lbs boat. And my truck weighs in at 7k LBS! I put these through the ringer on many vehicles many times as well as many other people with solid performance and VERY LOW dusting. You have to have something up with your rig!

My car:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  58.5 KB

And here is my truck.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  79.0 KB

Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had another look at my pads and I noticed something that could possibly have something to do with the dust. I noticed that the speckled coating which is supposed to just be on the backplate is also on the sides of the pad as well. Im not sure if the coating is the whole problem, but im sure its not helping.

Quick Reply: Brake pad questions