1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

trailer brake controler install and towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer brake controler install and towing questions

I need to install trailer brake controller on my '00 Durango with what I have determined is not a factory tow package but must be a dealer installed mopar hitch and wiring harness. the hitch has the mopar sticker on it and everything plugs in to the factory connections with a red power wire and blue trailer brake wire running along the frame up to the battery area from the 7 pin trailer plug. the red power wire has an inline plastic fuse holder a few inchs before it connects to the battery plus post of the fuse/relay box right behind the battery. the blue trailer brake wire does not connect to anything.

so it looks like I will have to splice into the brake switch wiring for the electric brake controller, which wire do I need to splice into on the brake light switch?

what did the factory change whenyou ordered the towing package? was it just the hitch and wiring with a plug for the trailer brake controller? or did they upgrade the radiator? tranny cooler upgrade?

my trailer is suppose to be 3200lb GVW max, its an 18foot 1974 tripple e, so its not uber heavy but its not my old light coleman tent trailer either dont want to cook anything.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blind Monkey
so it looks like I will have to splice into the brake switch wiring for the electric brake controller, which wire do I need to splice into on the brake light switch?
Pin 2 dark white/tan.. Get yourself a voltmeter or even a test light and put it on there if you get juice when you hit the petal and i goes off when you release your good..

Originally Posted by Blind Monkey
what did the factory change when you ordered the towing package? was it just the hitch and wiring with a plug for the trailer brake controller? or did they upgrade the radiator? tranny cooler upgrade?
Transmission cooler located between the radiator and the A/C condenser, all the wiring for the 7 pin plug ( If You do have the tow group there will be a 4 pin blue plug under the dash where the wires go out though the firewall for you to plug a trailer brake right into) and IIRC 3.92 gearing?

My D did not come with the tow group and i did run all the wiring for a plug in the back. its not overly hard...

Last edited by Old_School; 04-07-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

tow package included (to my knowledge)
-160 amp alternator
-750 cca heavy duty maint free battery
-heavy duty engine cooling (radiator)
-auxillary transmission cooler
-class IV hitch reciever
-wiring harness 7 pin
-adaptor 7-4 pin

the 3.92 gears were definitely NOT part of the tow package bc i pulled the above information off the window sticker for my 2002 and i have the 3.55 gears.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional

ok then so I dont have the factory tow package. definetly dont have the 160amp alternator, don't have aux tranny cooler just the one in the rad, battery has been changed at some point, dont know about rad.

so the hitch I have with mopar sticker on it must be a dealer or later install but it has a harness similar to the one on this page http://www.mopardodge.com/accessorie...ailerhitch.htm that just plugs into everything and put a relay up behind the bumper under the left tail light. also the 7pin plug in the hitch is a chrysler part that plugs into the harness.

and I have the 3.55 gears but I have installed R/T 16" wheels with R/T size 16" tires, i'll probally put the correct tires back on for towing.

sucks, I went and bought the hopkins adapter to plug into the trailer brake plug but I dont have it oh well splicing no big deal.

I assume I should probally install an aux tranny cooler to help the tranny out if I plan on going very far.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

stock rims where 16inch, R/Ts where 18 iirc (on 01 and later trucks)

Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Blind Monkey
Professional

look at sig. 2000. stock non R/T was 235/75/15.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ok, still my point was that the R/T rims are not 16inch, they are 18s

Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

3200lbs shouldn't cook anything. I would run in o/d off mode or the tow haul button what ever you want to call it. That will be a lot easier on the truck than running in O/D. I have towed a lot more than that in 90+ degree weather with out cooking anything you will be fine.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Look under the dash all the way drivers side behind the Ebrake there should be a main plug/plugs. There might be a light blue harness hanging down, if there is you can just get a wiring kit and it simply plugs into that little blue harness and plugs into your trailer brake, it powers it, grounds it, and detects the braking. All you have to do is plug it into it and mount it and your done, that is if you have one.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.55 gears kinda suck for towing.... IMO... If I were you Id swap em out if I could. But them again you shouldnt have a problem with only 3200lbs

Quick Reply: trailer brake controler install and towing questions