1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power draw problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power draw problem

a few months ago i joined the elite club of mopar madness. i bought a 98 dodge durango 4x4. with a 5.2 ltr v8. and ill tell ya what i bought it for 3 grand i have already dumped over 2 grand into it trying to fix it. i still have tranny problems and wish i could get that issue resolved without having to pay 600. but my main issue now is a power draw thats killing me. i come home from work in the morning and i park my truck at 7:30am. and i leave for work at 10:45 pm. i go out to my durango. and the battery is completely dead. (sh$t). now i have to drive the wifes van to work. the durango has the factory head unit in it and it doesnt work good at all. the volume out put varries. it gets loud then goes soft. and theres no display on the screen. it also has a hornet remote start on it. could that be the issue. i have already put 2 different batteries in it and i just replaced the alternator thinking it was that. i also re drilled the ground because it seemed a little rusted. i need help! or its going to the junk yard soon. cuz i need dependable ride. and so far in the past 2 months of owning it its spent more time in the shop than in my drive way.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

also if you have any coments you can email me at krupaeric@yahoo.com

Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

noone is going to send you emails

i would start be removing the remote start, aftermarket remote start and alarm systems are the biggest cause of electrical problems on these trucks.

i would also suggest getting an amp meter and checking what the baseline draw is and pulling fuses till it drops, this will isolate which circuit the issue is on and allow us to point you in the correct direction.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
noone is going to send you emails
LOL! Also +1 to taking out the remote start, if it is not the cause if the problem it is not helping it.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

ill try to remove the remote start. instead of simply removing it could i just unplug all the connectors coming out of the remote box under my dash? would that work? or will i have to completely remove the wires where they got em spliced in. cuz im getting aggrivated. and all i seem to do every week is buy new parts for it and spend my days off working on it instead of with my family. its sad to say but ppl selling cars by owner. really suck, cuz with my experience they all lie. they never tell you the full truth about the vehicle. i would never do that to someone. but maybe thats just cuz i was brought up to be a good christian.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would just completely pull it.

Next I would start testing each fuse to see which one was pulling the amps and then fix the issue.

Quick Reply: power draw problem