1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

O2 sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Durango_Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor problems

I know I know, yet another fine Dodge product with o2 problems... This specific problem has probably already been posted before, but honestly, I am just too tired with too many hours at work to warrant a look deeper, so if it has, I apologize.

1999 Durango SLT/SLT Plus with the 5.9L.
Two codes will not clear...(for the life of me I cannot remember what specific P-codes they are, just what they are, sorry)

Code one, is 02 sensor pre-cat, code 2 is 02 sensor post cat, both listing same bank, but one reads lean, one reads rich... any clues? I know these motors are notorious for vacuum leaks, and when cold, it does have a rough idle once we are at a complete stop. If warm, and idling for more than 10 minutes, it will start to run rough and eventually die if the throttle is not touched. I am lost and of course Dodge wont help me with it unless I want to pay them a $100 diag fee, plus troubleshooting time of 2 hours @ $75/hour my cost with my discounts.... that is just ridiculous... any help would be greatly appreciated. This rig does have 257K on it, original engine, but no problems other than what is listed. Thanks, Brandon!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

Did u replace the o2 sensors? And what brand? Check the relays, they could be bad. Also do u have a bad plenum? Coating them with oil would cause them to read wrong and throw a code. Have u tuned it up lately? Or clean the throttle body and IAC?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 AM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

Dont feel bad. I am having an ongoing o2 sensor saga myself. Ive tried just about everything with no luck

Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 PM
kcriss

I have having the same problem. I have a 99 V8 5.2 Durango. Shortly after I had a tune up done CE light came on. Took it to have emissions test and it failed. Code was P0138. Took it to shop they said it was bank 1 sensor 2. So I just changed both sensors. CE light still on, now code is P0132. Which is the o2 sensor. Im stumped !!!! How long should I drive it in order for it to reset? Any suggestions would be great!

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problems