1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango went for a swim

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
croy09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango went for a swim

Ive posted on here before but i am running into problems with my dodge. Here is the story..

Its a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT with the 318. I just put 15 gran into the truck and everything is new besides the motor. 181,000km

Was down by the lake about to cross a creek and sank my truck, water was 6 inches above my seat.. Pulled it out 45 mins later, me and a buddy towed it to town.. (I did try to start it after it got pulled out)

Changed the oil, had 6 litres of water in it. Pulled the plugs, cranked it over and tons of water came shooting out. Put in new plugs, didnt start. Took them out and put diesel in the plug holes, let sit for an hour and she fired up, Changed the oil again as it was milky

Now my engine was running fine then my check engine light came on. Idles rough, smokes a bit of black and burns lots of fuel.

Engine Code p0171 Fuel system 1/1 lean

Throttle body is dirty so im in the middle of cleaning it out. Almost sounds like there is some sort of a vacuum leak but i checked it all out and seems fine.

I have a brand new transmission the durango and it was shifting horrible. Flushed it out, changed the filter and added new ATF. Ran fine and 2 days later its doing the same and the oil looks all merky like if its Bepto Dismo. Im about to change it again but wondering how many times ill have to do it?

Got a minor electrical problem. Power driver seat was working then i pushed it all the way back and now wont come forward? Besides that the truck is fine and i only fried my DVD deck (as far as i know)

Hope you guys could help me out as i dont feel like bringing it into a shop

Thanx alot

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the fuel system lean could be a shorted out (destoryed) oxygen sensor,

the seat probably shorted out and you got lucky getting it to move

i would do a transmission fluid PURGE (pull the cooler return line and let the engine run and pump the fluid into a bucket as you add new) to get everything out of it, idk how much water was in the trans but you clearly did not get it all out

Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

1) Tranny fluid has water in it, that is what makes it look like pepto bismol. I would drop the pan again and purge it really well.

2) The black smoke is way too much extra fuel. Since it is reading lean I would say replace the O2 sensors. Penetrating oil is your friend, I just put in a new front O2 sensor 30 min. ago.

Change the oil again! If you changed it out once and it was still milky there is still water in the system and it needs to be removed. Change the filter every time and put the front on jack stands so any water in the pan runs out the rear with the oil. Hopefully you didn't do to much damage. I would also check the transfer case and the diffs for water. Good luck man.....

hey shrps you posted as I was writing mine lol.

Last edited by adukart; 04-24-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
croy09

awesome thanx alot guys. Gonna change the o2 sensor tomorow and along with everything else. truck runs like crap and averages 6 mpg while doing 50 km an hour on my street

Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I would quit driving it before you do any more damage. Definitely change all the fluids like stated above

Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 AM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with changing all the fluids and also make sure that everything under the car is in good condition including the o2 sensors

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
croy09

All my fluids are good now, i changed the wires, distributor cap and rotor this afternoon and when it fired up she backfired.

Shut it off, checked everything and its fine so i turn it over and she starts up. Rough idle (varies 500-900rpm) and when i rev it up it should like a loud ting ting noise coming from the exhaust or cat

blows black alot when i rev it.. is it my o2 sensor now and how many do i have on the truck?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You have 2 one before the cat and one after unless it is a CA emissions then you have two before and after. I would say yes get a new O2 sensors.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
croy09

Theres one on my cat, after and id imagine 1 more before.. Now what if i cut out the cat and got a new o2 sensor mounted on a piece of straight pipe and just weld it all into place...

Would that cause me any trouble?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by croy09
Its a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT with the 318. I just put 15 gran into the truck and everything is new besides the motor. 181,000km

Was down by the lake about to cross a creek and sank my truck, water was 6 inches above my seat.. Pulled it out 45 mins later

You just bought a 1999 with 112,000 miles for $15,000?

And it was dumped into a lake practically fully underwarter and you wonder why it all doesn't run?

I'll sell you two running Durango's for $15,000 and you can cut your losses with the watercraft... it's an insurance total loss.

I don't buy the story. I'm out. Good luck!

Last edited by IndyDurango; 04-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Durango went for a swim