1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fan and/or radiator is loud outside the D

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Hmm. It seems like you only read the first part about removing the clutch and fan, but completely missed the second part about keeping it with you just in case you start to run hot.
No, I didn't miss it. Not everyone wants to A) carry around the fan at all times or B) have to pull off the road, get out, and put it on. What if they didn't realize that the temperature was increasing and overheated the engine; blown headgasket? Not to mention the danger of having to pull off to the side of the road somewhere where there could be other cars whizzing by.

Dodge kept the mechanical fan for a reason. It is necessary to keep the engine cool in most conditions these vehicles will see. If their paid engineers decided that it needed to be there it should be left there. Car companies don't typically spend money adding parts that aren't necessary. The simple fact is that the stock e-fan was not designed to cool the engine on it's own.

Not to insult you or anything, but removing the mechanical fan all together is pretty foolish knowing that the e-fan isn't always going to be capable of keeping the engine cool. Just because you've been lucky so far and haven't had problems doesn't mean others won't.

Roller:

Basically what you do is replace the clutch and fan with ones from the dodge v10 engine. I believe 98s & 99s also have to replace the fan shroud too. I had the part numbers saved somewhere, but of course I can't find them right now. I'll let you know if I find them.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
No, I didn't miss it. Not everyone wants to A) carry around the fan at all times or B) have to pull off the road, get out, and put it on. What if they didn't realize that the temperature was increasing and overheated the engine; blown headgasket? Not to mention the danger of having to pull off to the side of the road somewhere where there could be other cars whizzing by.

Dodge kept the mechanical fan for a reason. It is necessary to keep the engine cool in most conditions these vehicles will see. If their paid engineers decided that it needed to be there it should be left there. Car companies don't typically spend money adding parts that aren't necessary. The simple fact is that the stock e-fan was not designed to cool the engine on it's own.

Not to insult you or anything, but removing the mechanical fan all together is pretty foolish knowing that the e-fan isn't always going to be capable of keeping the engine cool. Just because you've been lucky so far and haven't had problems doesn't mean others won't.

Roller:

Basically what you do is replace the clutch and fan with ones from the dodge v10 engine. I believe 98s & 99s also have to replace the fan shroud too. I had the part numbers saved somewhere, but of course I can't find them right now. I'll let you know if I find them.
Well to be honest, im not going to spend $300+ for an efan conversion when I could just pull over and put my e fan on if i need to. The air hat is an unnecessary piece of equipment that the engineers put on, just throwing that out there. All it really boils down to is laziness. If you're in stop and go traffic or towing it's usually a good idea to keep an eye on your gauges regardless of the outside temperature. It's a simple solution to a simple problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

how the hell did the airhat come into this discussion?? the airgat is a very necessary piece of equipment, as is a cooling fan, either a good full coverage electric fan or a clutch fan

yes keeping an eye on gauges is a good idea, but it can be difficult when in traffic, especially stop and go (where you move the slowest)

Old 05-06-2012, 10:18 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

The air hat came into play because it really does nothing but slow the intake air down and quiet it down. Pretty worthless, and proves my point of engineers adding things without a real purpose. ANYHOW, It is only an option, I never said you had to do it. It is a lot cheaper, and can be re installed if needed.

End

Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea that guy: when you do please let me know!
Would I have to swap the shroud from a ram with the V10 or where would I get that?
Does it pull more or the same cfm's as the stock btw?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
The air hat came into play because it really does nothing but slow the intake air down and quiet it down. Pretty worthless, and proves my point of engineers adding things without a real purpose. ANYHOW, It is only an option, I never said you had to do it. It is a lot cheaper, and can be re installed if needed.

End
If you take off the clutch fan all you're doing is avoiding a nuisance (being the noise from it) and substituting a potentially harmful one to both your truck and yourself. Nobody is telling you that you can't do it, but rather telling why its a bad idea and letting people decide for themselves once they have all the facts.

And btw the airhat does serve several purposes, one of which you listed yourself.

Roller:
The part numbers are: Fan 52027709, Clutch 2029767AA, and 4x4 Shroud 52029012AC or 2wd Shroud 52028614AB

The angle of the blades are different and it pulls more air. It also makes much less noise that the stock setup we have from what I've read. I'm not entirely sure if the shroud is from the ram also, but I've been put under the impression that it is. If the shroud is from the ram Id say the junkyard would probably be the cheapest, but you should be able to find it and all the other parts online.

Last edited by that_guy; 05-06-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

I know this might be a stupid question but...the part number should be on the "part" right? Ive seen some parts that do and don't...I would get a new clutch but if I pull the fan and shroud from the JY I can look at the number and be ok yes?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by RollerRed
I know this might be a stupid question but...the part number should be on the "part" right? Ive seen some parts that do and don't...I would get a new clutch but if I pull the fan and shroud from the JY I can look at the number and be ok yes?
I'm not entirely sure on that one, but luckily we know someone with a v10 ram that might kindly check for us. Maybe Hydra will chime in and help out.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

If you take off the clutch fan all you're doing is avoiding a nuisance (being the noise from it) and substituting a potentially harmful one to both your truck and yourself. Nobody is telling you that you can't do it, but rather telling why its a bad idea and letting people decide for themselves once they have all the facts.

And btw the airhat does serve several purposes, one of which you listed yourself.
I assumed the OP had some common sense, by removing the clutch and fan your chances of getting hot increase, but thats when you put your clutch and fan back on. Its a really simple thing to do. just hand tighten it and it will tighten itself because its reverse threaded, like a rear sprocket on a bicycle.
Mine, unlike his, is still in working condition. But I guess i'm not too lazy to put it back on if needed.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

I'm not entirely sure on that one, but luckily we know someone with a v10 ram that might kindly check for us. Maybe Hydra will chime in and help out.
I would pm hydra

Quick Reply: Fan and/or radiator is loud outside the D