1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

High speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 AM
ecred
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed Vibration

Alright here is one for you guys to debate. 99 4x4 Durango, 115k, 5.9. I have a vibration that is driving me crazy. So here’s the deal starting about 70-72 mph and continuing randomly up to the high 80’s, anything below 70 is really quite smooth.

Now here is the kicker, it is not consistent, meaning I might drive it this afternoon and it be smooth, but drive it tonight and it shake the drink out of my hand. The harder I accelerate the worse the vibration is, however, the vibration continues once I stop accelerating (even coasting in neutral once up to speed). The vibration feels more like a tire out of balance than an acute driveline vibration, but I put the wheels and tires on my Dakota and they rode great.

Within the last year I have put 3 sets of tires on it, new wheels, new brakes all around, and new u-joints on the rear driveshaft and had it balanced, new shocks, one new unit bearing, and removed the front driveshaft (currently still off).

I have no reason to believe my rear axle shafts are bent, but I am getting a dial indicator to check them when I get a chance. I really like my Durango, but this vibration is driving me crazy.

Thoughts…..

Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check to make sure the driveshaft is still balanced correctly, it it is out of balance it could cause somehting like this (yes i would expect it to be a more consistent vibration too, but its simply to check if anything fell off it)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Russ50
Professional

Have you check to see if your ball joints are loose,, That will give you a vib also,,,

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
ecred

Originally Posted by Russ50
Have you check to see if your ball joints are loose,, That will give you a vib also,,,
Uppers are about a year and a half old, lowers feel good. I can not get any loose camber movement out of the front wheels. By hand at least, everything feels snugg.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
ecred

Has anyone had any issues with their harmonic balancer going bad? At this point i am not limiting it to just the driveline, i am wondering if something in the powertrain could cause it as well.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
ecred

Alright through process of elimination I think I have narrowed it down to a bent axle shaft. The wheel mounting surface (drive flange) on the right shaft in the rear axle has a little wobble in it. I have not put a dial indicator on it yet, but it is slightly visible.

So my question is this….....is that shaft suppose to be 100% true or is there a tolerance level (+/- .001 or so) they are built to?

BTW the left shaft looks and feels true from what I can tell.
Thanks

Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM
ecred

Ok i checked both sides with a dial indicator. The right side has about 10 thousands run out in it and the left side has about 4 thousands run out in it. Obviously there is a decent discretion there. I think I am just going to order both shafts and hope that fixes the vibration.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

How are you checking the lower ball joints? Also how were the tires wearing? Meaning are they wearing on the outside edge or inside. Have you check the steering gear bolts?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 AM
jack buaer
Amateur

Everyone has great suggestions, 1. Check rear differential 2. Check upper and lower ball joints by jacking your truck up in the front then take your hands one on top of tire one on bottom and see if you can move it back and forth. Now this may also mean your Wheel bearings are bad too. If you have the tools it will take about 6 hours to replace Ball joints inner outter tierods and wheel bearings. Now check your CVboots and drive line. Lastly but first thing you should do is rebalance you tires.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 AM
ecred

Originally Posted by master tech
How are you checking the lower ball joints? Also how were the tires wearing? Meaning are they wearing on the outside edge or inside. Have you check the steering gear bolts?

It is not coming from the front, everything in the front feels fine. I think I have it narrowed down to a bent axle shaft. My right shaft has 10 thousands runout in it at the drive flange, left has 4 thousands. So my question was what is the oem tolerance levels on axle shafts?

Thinking about getting these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781267314...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Last edited by ecred; 06-07-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: High speed Vibration