1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Getting New Front Shocks. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
dakotamagic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Getting New Front Shocks. Suggestions?

The front shocks are shot on my 2002 Durango. I'm getting new ones and having a friend put them on. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what brand I should get?

I use my Rango mainly for to and from work (90% interstate miles). It does go on a dirt road every day when I go feed and ride horses, but not 4-wheeling.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for daily smooth asphalt driving, get the Monroe Reflex. They are great and great keep your ride stable in most conditions. I have a set on myself and the ride is comfortable and they perform well when I corner hard.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
for daily smooth asphalt driving, get the Monroe Reflex. They are great and great keep your ride stable in most conditions. I have a set on myself and the ride is comfortable and they perform well when I corner hard.
+1 on monroe

Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Durty
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kensai
+1 on the Reflex also. I just installed these a couple weeks ago as my front shocks were completely trashed. Of course, the ride is significantly improved. If I were going off road at all, I would have gotten something more stiff, but these are great for the daily road driving I do in my Durango. She rides like a new car now.

If you really want to improve the feel of the front end and your bushings need to be replaced go for the Energy Suspension Polyurethane lineup.

I just replaced my sway bar bushings and upper control arm bushings. The improved ride and control with all these changes is better than I could have imagined.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
dsolorio
Professional

Is Energy Suspension worth getting? I have Monroe on mine, Im about to get new bushings all around as well. But I was going to order some other brand from Rock Auto. I thought Energy Suspension was performance not really for smooth city driving.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Durty
Rookie

Originally Posted by dsolorio
Is Energy Suspension worth getting? I have Monroe on mine, Im about to get new bushings all around as well. But I was going to order some other brand from Rock Auto. I thought Energy Suspension was performance not really for smooth city driving.
It is definitely more firm that using the OEM rubber bushings but my experience has been that it tightens up the suspension leaving the vehicle far more responsive and controlled. This combined with the Monroe Reflex shocks for softer dampening has the ideal effect for me. Its up to you though.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM
dsolorio
Professional

Maybe Ill try them out this round. Ive heard good things, again, I just thought they were for performance. Thanks

Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moog poly's and bilsteins for me. I like a stiff ride though so it is what it is.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:14 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the rancho shocks

Old 06-03-2012, 11:54 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

See other posts. Top 3 Rancho Monroe Pro Comp. Top dollar Bilstine, Edeldbrock, King

Quick Reply: Getting New Front Shocks. Suggestions?