1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My '02 sounds like a Cessna

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '02 sounds like a Cessna

I got a symptom I cant put my finger on but sounds like one of my front wheel hubs is worn. I already changed all shocks due to the fact they were all worn out and every crack on the road felt like a pot hole. Nice ride now. The problem I have is still having a vibrations from front of vehicle when driving on city roads and freeways. Really sounds like a prop plane taxiing down the runway. The humming and vibrations changes pending on the speed I'm driving. Driving straight or turning to the left, the hum and vibrations will remain constant at current speed. When I turn the steering wheel to the right between the 1 and 2 o'clock position (around the 1:30) humming and vibrations dissappears. Turning the steering wheel back the 12 o'clock position from the right turn, the vibrations and hum returns. This has been consistant for a few weeks. Nothing changed since then. Check the wear on the tires over the past weeks, even had them rotated. Even wear on all of them. No steering issues either. Any suggestions?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

That would be the front hub bearing. I would recommend to replace them as a pair. Because you will replace one and then hear the same type noise coming from the other side.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

Originally Posted by master tech
That would be the front hub bearing. I would recommend to replace them as a pair. Because you will replace one and then hear the same type noise coming from the other side.
Yes, yes, and yes! From personal experience it is your front passenger side currently. Replace them both and be done with it.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 AM
thepeshmode
Amateur

thank you both for confirming what I thought it might be. I'll change 'em this weekend. Again, Thanks!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 PM
thepeshmode
Amateur

did the r & r this afternoon and a quick test run on the freeways and city roads. Only hear the flowmaster and my xm now. Sweet!!! next the worn out leafsprings.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 AM
TravisN.
Rookie

Originally Posted by thepeshmode
did the r & r this afternoon and a quick test run on the freeways and city roads. Only hear the flowmaster and my xm now. Sweet!!! next the worn out leafsprings.
Good to hear! Glad this helped, i myself will be doing front and rear suspension soon (havent done this yet myself, will be reading up on it before I start.)

Quick Reply: My '02 sounds like a Cessna