1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No Power when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Matthew Smith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is old, but did you ever get your power issue resolved? I’m experiencing something very similar

Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Adam Burdett

I'm curious too if you found the problem as I also am experiencing the same thing.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience with this isn't with a Durango but for whatever it's worth on a 2001 blazer we used to own it had a similar issue. Started fine, revved up in park fine, shifted fine, but had low power when you got on the throttle heavy while driving and didn't rev past mid-range.
The catalytic converter plugged itself because the honeycomb core had fallen apart and turned inside the housing preventing exhaust flow.
Removed the cat and it ran great.

​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Tra (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Tra
Default Engine computer will set a light but no code w/it.

Originally Posted by TravisN.
First thing i would do is find out if there are any codes associated with the check engine light (auto zone or other major parts stores do this for free)... its on for a reason! If there are no codes, try resetting the computer via disconnecting the black negative wire from the battery, then turning the key to the "start" position for 10 -15 seconds, then remove the key, and reconnect the battery.

If the check engine light goes away, drive it and see if the problem is solved. If it remains, or comes back, get the codes from the diagnostics and repost them here.

I could name off a few other things to check, but dont want to send you on a wild goose chase... first thing is the check engine light.
From my personal experience, the engine computer can cause all kinds of weird things to happen,, it sets an engine light but not a code. If your not getting a code its probably the computer.. I bought the comp at adv. And installed myself, I seen something about someone changed the comp.. once the comp. is changed its something that needs to be done( I took mine to a used car dealer) who hooked up a scanner, did something and told me to drive 50 miles and come back, after that he did something else w/the scanner and bam its back to normal. I have a 99 durango, 5.2,rwd,v8. Hope this helps some dodge owners out there. The comp. Can cause windows to go up and down even when not running, it can mess w/the security system, it can do weird things.

Last edited by Tra; 11-05-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Quick Reply: No Power when Accelerating