1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is there any way around this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Becki67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any way around this?

Hi,

I sold my 2003 dodge durango to my stepdaughter...a remote starter was installed at Christmas. The other day, the car refused to start..it cranks but nothing else. Everyone thought it was the fuel pump, but I am almost positive its the security system. Is there a way to bypass this or are only dealers able to reset the sytem? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-d...s-section.html

I will move this to the appropriate section for you so that you will get the views that you need to get an answer, this is a dead section which noone but me seems to view.

this sounds to me like the remote starter system having failed, this is VERY common on chrysler motors products for aftermarket alarm/security and remote start systems to cause trouble like this.

you can rule out the fuel pump with a pressure test (50psi is what is expected)
you should also be able to hear the pump prime (come on) when you turn the key to the ON position.

there is a way to reset the security system with the key in the drivers door,
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2118421-post2.html <-reset alarm

Old 06-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Becki67

I tried that... Didn't work..looks like a dealer for us today...

Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

im sorry that didnt work, feel free to ask any other questions you may have and please let us know what the solution ends up being

Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Freedog
Amateur

Have the remote starter removed. They're simply not worth the hassle. No doubt, a million people will tell you that they had one on their car for 50 years and never had a problem but in my experience, aftermarket remote start systems fail a lot more often than I would feel comfortable gambling on. The ability to start your car remotely isn't worth the chance that you might be stranded somewhere and have to rely on someone to diagnose and fix the problem.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
logikfive
Professional

After thinking about this a little bit more, I forgot you do actually have to cut the wires for the security system under the dash. If your problem is indeed related to the remote starter, it's most likely a failed connection between the 791 bypass and the security system.

I assume you're not able to start the vehicle even with the key?

Freedog, you're saying that because you live in a reasonably warm climate year round. I've installed remote starters in everything I drive in the winter, the benefits of a remote starter GREATLY outweigh the chances of an issue like this. I've never had a remote starter that has failed and left the vehicle unable to start with the key. I've seen remote starters fail and they won't start with the remote, but they have always started with the key.

Remote starters are a relatively simple installation, the hardest part is locating and piggybacking into the factory wiring.

Last edited by logikfive; 06-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

logic i am not that far south of you, and i would NEVER install a remote start i feel the same way as Freedog, and we regular see sub 0F temperatures where i live (its also not good for the engine to let it warm up for more than a minute or two, too much idling)