1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I'm back with questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
StoopRango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back with questions!

Hey guys, I haven't been on the forums in a while just thought I'd ask a few questions because I'm curious about a few things. Last Summer when i did the tune up, I never replaced the coil which is original to the truck. It's 14 yrs old with almost 108k on it, should I replace it? Its only a $30 part, it cant hurt. One more thing I have noticed recently is when I'm not moving and I turn the wheel I hear a little bit of noise and there is a little vibration in the wheel. The power steering fluid level is good, and the sound only doesnt happen going down the road and turning. Only if i'm stationary.
Maybe the motor is just getting tired but i recently did a 0-60mph run and the time I got was around 12 seconds. Is that normal for a 5.2 'Rango?

Oh and that mysterious misfiring i used to get on idle when it was between cold and hot turned out to be the O2 sensors. Replaced them and haven't had that happen since.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the coil or find yourself stranded somewhere when it fails.

Place the working one, albeit extremely old and past due for replacement, in the cubby as a spare so you don't get stranded when the new one fails someday.

IndyDurango

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StoopRango
Hey guys, I haven't been on the forums in a while just thought I'd ask a few questions because I'm curious about a few things. Last Summer when i did the tune up, I never replaced the coil which is original to the truck. It's 14 yrs old with almost 108k on it, should I replace it? Its only a $30 part, it cant hurt. One more thing I have noticed recently is when I'm not moving and I turn the wheel I hear a little bit of noise and there is a little vibration in the wheel. The power steering fluid level is good, and the sound only doesnt happen going down the road and turning. Only if i'm stationary.
Maybe the motor is just getting tired but i recently did a 0-60mph run and the time I got was around 12 seconds. Is that normal for a 5.2 'Rango?

Oh and that mysterious misfiring i used to get on idle when it was between cold and hot turned out to be the O2 sensors. Replaced them and haven't had that happen since.

Replace the coil. Store the old one as a spare.

The power steering pump may be worn out as well. Might be time to change it as well.

Replacing the O2 sensors was a good step but unless you have ever fixed your intake plenum gasket, you may be on your way to new problems. Before jumping into the fix though, check to see if the pan gasket on the bottom of the intake is good or bad.

To check is easy. Unplug your wiring and cables from the throttle body. Remove the four bolts that hold it on and set the throttle body aside.

Use a flashlight and peer down inside the intake. If you see oil on that steel pan, the gasket is blown, and the intake is sucking up oil from the inside. This can cause a whole host of problems and that gasket needs to be fixed. Again, this is kind of a can of worms so look for oil.

If that pan is clean and there is no oil in the intake, then you're safe for now and don't need to worry with that.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
StoopRango
Amateur

Yeah I'm about to go and buy a coil and replace it today. Its only around 30 bucks and it seems to be easy to replace. Just a couple bolts and a connector.

I remember the intake plenum gaskets being replaced when the Durango was still under warranty by the dealer. I'll still get a flashlight and have a look down there though. Can't hurt. I really dont think they caused the misfire though because when i replaced the O2's, the check engine went off and it ran a bit better while getting a tenth better gas mileage, haha, and the bucking and the miss hasn't happened since.

One more thing. My dad swears by this oil additive called Restore..i'm just wondering does it even "restore" anything? Or is it just a marketing gimmick that sludges up your engine? I personally dont like oil additives. Just wondering if it is good or bad.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most oil additives ARE gimmicks. The only multi purpose additive I use is Seafoam. I use it mostly in the fuel system but it is a great air induction additive too, and can even be used as an oil system clean and flush right before an oil change.

Seafoam is a good preventative maintenance product. It won't 'fix' problems but it will do helpful things like clean out injectors and unstick lifters and help clean carbon buildup off of intake valves.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM
StoopRango
Amateur

I just got done replacing the coil I noticed it starts up way better. Overall when I drove it I noticed a nice gain in throttle response..especially when I floored it lol. So the beast is running like a top, for now atleast. For a pretty easy seeming job it was kinda a pain in the rear axle. That bottom bolt, it took some time and dropping tools to get the nut back on but i got 'er!
My dad did mention though, that the Durango's oil consumption has been cut almost in half since he put Restore in a few years back. Although thats good, I just worry that something is getting sludged up in the process.

Last edited by StoopRango; 07-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup i agree stay away from oil additives, they cause much more harm than good.

Quick Reply: I'm back with questions!