1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Mopar air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
StoopRango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar air cleaner

So i've been thinking of getting the round mopar air cleaner for the Durango. I have done a little researching on it and i know about the bends in the bolt i have to make for it to fit. Summit Racing sells the complete assembly for a little under 80 bucks. I really like the look and function of it I'm just worried that it'll suck in a bunch of hot air and it wouldnt make a difference over the stock air hat. Just looking for a couple opinions.

Oh and i also know I'd need to buy a breather for the left side valve cover to replace that little vacuum line.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by StoopRango
I'm just worried that it'll suck in a bunch of hot air and it wouldnt make a difference over the stock air hat.
Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head there. If anything it would be getting hotter air with the intake being closer to the engine.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be better off putting a K&N filter in the stock air box and making a cold air intake (CAI) like in this thread....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...m-air-diy.html

Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point of the conical filters are to create more breathable surface area. They breath easier than the flat ones.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srch4me
The point of the conical filters are to create more breathable surface area. They breath easier than the flat ones.

i understand that but, when breathing in hot engine air you not really doing much no matter what shape the filter is.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by Old_School
i understand that but, when breathing in hot engine air you not really doing much no matter what shape the filter is.
Correct. I was just giving an explanation of the theory behind the filter. Conical is great when its routed right and sucks cold air

Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

FWIW, I've run both the CIA and the 14" air breathers and really can't tell the difference between the performance of the two. Ditched the K&N CIA about 8 years ago and have been running the 14" ever since. They're a perfect fit on the V8's but won't work on the V6 because they hit the firewall. 10" is the largest that will fit the V6.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
FWIW, I've run both the CIA and the 14" air breathers and really can't tell the difference between the performance of the two.
what about fuel mileage? any difference there or about the same?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by StoopRango
So i've been thinking of getting the round mopar air cleaner for the Durango. I have done a little researching on it and i know about the bends in the bolt i have to make for it to fit. Summit Racing sells the complete assembly for a little under 80 bucks. I really like the look and function of it I'm just worried that it'll suck in a bunch of hot air and it wouldnt make a difference over the stock air hat. Just looking for a couple opinions.

Oh and i also know I'd need to buy a breather for the left side valve cover to replace that little vacuum line.
FYI, this deal would be cheaper for you than Summit because of the free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Perfor...7e3498&vxp=mtr

Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by that_guy
what about fuel mileage? any difference there or about the same?
Fuel mileage seems to be a little better with the warmer air. The colder the incoming air the more the PCM richens up the fuel mixture which means less mpg.

Another little trick I came up with to keep the engine bay a lot cooler is to remove the weatherstrip piece on the front edge of the wiper cowl that seals against the hood. It will amaze you how much cooler the engine bay will stay by removing it. I've had mine off for 8 years and have never had any water problems in the engine bay caused by rain or water.

Quick Reply: Mopar air cleaner