1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Anyone removed their transfer case shifter knob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone removed their transfer case shifter ****?

1998 Durango SLT Plus 360 4x4.

Have you removed the transfer case shift ****, and how did you do it?

Granted, I haven't spent a ton of time trying to figure it out because it's so frig'n hot out...but it doesn't seem to thread off and I don't want to start prying at what appears to be the cap only to mess it up and find out it's not removable.

The wire ring under the boot has popped out and I'm finding it really hard to get the wire ring back in the boot and the boot back into the plastic panel. My goal is to take the boot out, remove the plastic panel, reinstall everything, and put it back in in one piece.

Just need to know how to remove the shift **** before I mess it up trying everything I 'think' it is. LOL.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

you should be able to pop the round piece on the top (that says 4hi n 4lo... etc) off with a screwdriver and then there should be a bolt under it

Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by that_guy
you should be able to pop the round piece on the top (that says 4hi n 4lo... etc) off with a screwdriver and then there should be a bolt under it

Perfect, thanks. I just didn't want to start prying only to find out that the cap didn't really even come off. Scratches and gouges would bother me if they had nothing to do with the repair.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
that_guy
Champion

i'm the same way about things too. damn ocd lol

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by that_guy
i'm the same way about things too. damn ocd lol

Carefully pried the cap off. The **** itself is a soft rubber and the cap has a wide lip that fits under it. I used a nice thin awl to get under it and pry it out carefully.

Under the cap was a M15 nut and then the **** threaded off easily.

I got the boot out, but here is where it gets confusing. Upon re-installation I was having a TON of trouble keeping the wire ring up over the lip where the rubber boot goes under. It just seems to slide down and in which opens the boot up to slip down again.

I looked carefully and it seems the wire ring inside is actually glued to the inside of the boot which would keep it from sliding down after the boot is in place.

Because the boot is rubber and flexible and moves whenever the shifter is used I can't see using a glue that dries and hardens so I was thinking of using a cement or something like emblem adhesive which seems to stay a tad rubbery. It might also bond to the rubber boot better.

Once I can get that ring to stay put, I think it'll all go back together nicely.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest a silicone glue. It will herded but is still rubbery and flexible

Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by srch4me
I would suggest a silicone glue. It will herded but is still rubbery and flexible
that should work fine

Quick Reply: Anyone removed their transfer case shifter knob?