1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Dodge Durango suv shut off when driving help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yup old school has it nailed, it happens mostly to people who live in VERY hot parts of the world, and will likely not happen to everyone, although for all you know the PCM was changed in your ram before you bought it (btw the issue was fixed by adjusting the PCM location/mounting method in the 2000 model year)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope I'm not living on borrowed time then. It gets over 110 here in SC on a regular basis during the summer. Intense Blue isn't exactly the darkest color, but it probably isn't helping anything.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM
QDB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks really appreciate it.but yall sure it the pcm overheating.cause my car can star running after it crank up then for a while till it shut down in the middle of driving and do all over again

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM
JimtheDriver
Amateur

I'll post it again since there wasn't an answer to my questions.

Additionally, which region do you live in? I'm in Colorado, where the temperatures vary in any given year from ten below zero to plus one hundred ten. Again, never had the issue with the PCM.

Originally Posted by JimtheDriver
There's a good question: what color is the vehicle?

Granted, mine is Cherry Red and I've had no issues with the PCM.

More information is needed here.

Have you checked the air filter? I had an issue with mine where it had to be jumped then wouldn't idle for half an hour. I pulled the air filter out and it ran fine, thus knew what the fix would be.

Is the Check Engine light on? If any of the sensors are detecting an issue beyond adjustable parameters or are bad you'll have the light.

When was the last tune up/spark plug gap check?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimtheDriver
Additionally, which region do you live in? I'm in Colorado, where the temperatures vary in any given year from ten below zero to plus one hundred ten. Again, never had the issue with the PCM.

And, i'll post it again just in case you missed it......

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
it happens mostly to people who live in VERY hot parts of the world, and will likely not happen to everyone.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:31 PM
JimtheDriver
Amateur

That's why I was asking what region the thread starter is in. Colorado gets hot, granted it's a dry heat but . . . would humidity levels effect the PCM? I know they're supposed to be waterproof but . . . hmmm, mayhaps stress fractures in the casing?

I ask that 'cause Dodge did move the PCM after this particular model year

Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yes dodge did redesign the PCM mount for 2000 model year of the durango and the OVERHEATING PROBLEM IS WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now most of the time this happens in parts where it is hot year round, colorodo does not match this description.

as to stress fractures occuring from thermal stress that is possible that something internally is being stressed too far by the excessive heat.

if you do mostly highway driving this will be less of an issue bc the PCM is being cooled better by the airflow through the grill of the truck, if you sit in traffic alot it will make this problem worse, if you have a black truck and live in a very hot area and havent had the problem one of two things is true,
1) you are one lucky SOB

OR

2) you are on borrowed time and will have the problem show up in the near future.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

Crank sensor could also be the issue as well. Had a Cherokee with the 4.0...driving 55 mph, just shut off, no warning, nothing...couldn't be bad battery, it was new, new alternator. Previous owner told me that he couldn't replicate the problems with it his daughter had...it drove fine for me for about 2 months before it started up again...put new crank sensor on, drove it 3 more months without any problems..then traded it off. I just got crank sensor for my durango yesterday. then I'll work my way up in cost for parts. Might as well get the cheap stuff out of the way, then if I continue to have the same problem..then it will be a PCM change...but for now, i'm gonna start replacing stuff that probably has never been changed...

Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Maxed

We just purchased ours but the PCM has been replaced once. Its a nice gray color but spends the vast majority of its time in the Sun. Not doubting the heat issue but is this a Mopar only issue?

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Durango suv shut off when driving help!!