1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Replacement Speaker

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer so yes, it will be the original factory speaker.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
advdave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dude,
I think my speakers are 4 ohm, but I am going to try and look harder to find that somewhere on or inside the speaker. I have seen enough people say that going with a higher ohm speaker works fine, so I think I will go ahead and order four 4 ohm speakers to replace my two blown and two working speakers. Seems like it will work.
Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Kensai
Champion

Are you going to go with the Infinity Reference Series 6012 2-ways? So far, of all the 6.5 inch speakers I have listened to, the Reference speakers have the crispest highs and decent lows. Better than most 3-way 6.5's. The closest one in sound quality is Rockford Fosgate 3-way 6.5's.

I would not worry about your ohms, if you have a 2000 model, I am pretty comfortable it is a 4 ohm speaker as my 2000 Durango is 4 ohms. I am sure my OEM's have it listed as 4 ohms.

You can check with Crutchfield to see if they have some info on what speakers will work for 2000 durango's. If they recommend any speakers with 4 ohms as direct replacements for the OEM's, then the OEM's are 4 at least 4 ohms.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
advdave

I think I'm going to order the 6002i from an ebay wholesaler. I want to go as cheap as possible. I just want something at least a little better than the stock speakers (when they were all working), in my opinion, the oem speakers weren't bad, just that two of them blew on me, and now a third one is thinking about doing the same. I can get those for like 39.99 a pair plus shipping, putting me just a little over a 100 for 4.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Kensai
Champion

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 6002's. I almost bought those until I came across the 6012's. The 6012's is the current replacement of the 6002's. I forgot what the differences were between the two so I just opted for the more expensive 6012's just to stay with the current line. Cheapest I can find the 6012's for including s/h and no tax is around $75 a pair.

When you get a chance, better go order those pre-fab spacers to make your installation a million times easier without any special retrofitting that I mentioned on the first page of this forum.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Okey, Kensai- I have read the most of the previous two pages. I think my speakers are the 2s, not the 4s, so I need the 2s.
I really would like to hear from someone that has a 2001 RT with the infinity package. I talked to the dealer Parts guy today who said thatI would only be able to buy the SAME speakers from the dealers Parts Dept. at a whopping $400 for four infinity speakers.

If you have replaced your infinity package (the parts guy says the RTs have a "special system") PLEASE let me know with what and where I can get them.

Essentially, I would like speakers that work for a reasonable price.
Also, I have the 6 speaker system, so do I need to replace all six?
I am aware that I may sound retarted to some people on here, but hey I'm trying.andfor the record am not stupid... Just not educated in the whole vehicle/electronic world.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: DurangoRT/RN

Okey, Kensai- I have read the most of the previous two pages. I think my speakers are the 2s, not the 4s, so I need the 2s.
I really would like to hear from someone that has a 2001 RT with the infinity package. I talked to the dealer Parts guy today who said thatI would only be able to buy the SAME speakers from the dealers Parts Dept. at a whopping $400 for four infinity speakers.

If you have replaced your infinity package (the parts guy says the RTs have a "special system") PLEASE let me know with what and where I can get them.

Essentially, I would like speakers that work for a reasonable price.
Also, I have the 6 speaker system, so do I need to replace all six?
I am aware that I may sound retarted to some people on here, but hey I'm trying.andfor the record am not stupid... Just not educated in the whole vehicle/electronic world.
Your system physically only have 6 speakers. 2 tweeters and 2 subwoofers on the front doors. and 2 speakers on the back doors.

As I have said earlier, if you are looking to save alot of money and is satisfied with the factory speakers, I am 99 percent sure that your speakers are still working. The only thing is the foam surrounds on the factory speakers are blown. You go to http://www.simplyspeakers.com and buy a replacement set. Your factory speaker size is 6.5 inches. It's easy to do yourselfer kit. Each pair kit cost around $30 I think so this will set you back $60 bucks. If you go and buy a replacement such as an infinity reference or kappa series, then you will really be spending more money for 4 speakers. You do not have to replace the tweeters unless you can confirm you blown them as well.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

Why buy factory replacement speakers?

Unless you listen to elevator music they'll just blow out again.

My '01 is factory equipped with the in-dash CD/Cassete deck, Infinity speaker system with oem Infinity amp.

I bought from Carmax so in the 1st 30 days they fix anything that's wrong free of charge. I went over the D with a fine tooth comb and made 'em fix ****loads of stuff, ranging from a bad driver's power seat carrage to a leaky rear diff oil filler cap and yes those lame *** speakers.

I went through six of them, front and rear. The oem speakers seem to not be able to handle the power of the oem amp, Led Zeppelin's 1st album destroyed two speakers FL&RR simultaniously while playing "I can't quit you babe" at a hair less than 50% volume, just enough to appreciate John Bonham's talent on preccusion.

Half volume eating speakers is utter B.S.

There's an old saying," If it's too F'n loud, you're too F'n old." Words I live by.

BTW more OHMS= Less distortion at higher volume levels. However the OHM is a measure in resistance so a higher OHM value requires more power(represented in WATTS, RMS being true usable WATTS)to push the speakers.

If you have enough power to push them, 8 OHM speakers are premo for clairity at high volume levels, the 4 OHM speakers start to distort at 2/3's full volume.

Bottom line is the oem speakers aren't worth squat. Thankfully 6 1/2"ers is a common size.

Also if you get good sounding replacements you don't need the oem seperate tweeters, there parallel wired to the main speaker, correct me if I'm wrong, so just cut the wires to 'em and leave'em in place so not to have open holes in the door pannels.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Kensai
Champion

Check this link from simplyspeakers on how to replace the foam surrounds on the speaker. Very straight forward.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speake...structions.htm

The foam surrounds only cost $26.95 for pair set which includes s/h. Very good deal. These replacementfoam surrounds are much stronger material than the OEM material as these are not made of foamy material, but real synthetic rubber type material.These should last you for quite a while. I would bet the voice coils on the OEM will blow before you break these new surround material.

This is the only website that I know of that deals with repairing and restoring your speakers! They sell just about all the replacement parts for speakers. Voice coils, etc. Right now, my OEM's are still thumping after I removed my Infinity reference 6012's. The OEM's just have much much more BASS punch than the aftermarkets. I don't know why. It's been a year now and I have really pushed these repaired speakers to the limit and the new surroundmaterial are still holding up.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 AM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Hey, Lil Red, are you still able to use the steering wheel controls?
I'm sorry, Kensai I meant I have the 8 speaker premium system in my RT. I have 2 in each door (a big on onethe lower part and little oneon the top part.) I honestly don't know which are which or what they are called though...
I have heard it is a nightmare to change in the speakers for the 2001 RT. I'm not sure if your's is different because it's a 2000. Does yours have the 8 speakers also? Has to do with the fact they are 2ohms??
Do you have a manual? The one that shows how to take things apart and fix/replace them?
The Premium infinity system is different. I was also told I needed a $70 kit also and even the Parts guy at the dealer was telling us how much of a headache it is to change from the OEM even with the $70 kit. It's all confusing, that's why I was asking for help. It's not a simple swap because of the amplifier/wiring??

Thanks for the help so far. But if anyone else has any ideas or luck please let me know.

Quick Reply: Replacement Speaker