1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant resivor bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Robert Guerena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant resivor bubbling.

I have a 2001 Durango r/t with 73k miles. I'm the second owner and nothing comes up on carfax that is negative. With that said, about a month ago I pulled into my driveway and found it to be boiling and steaming without a high temp reading on the dash. I opened the hood to find that my upper hose had blown apart at the T where the cap is. I replaced this and topped off the coolant. Since then it has been running fine until yesterday. After about an hour drive I parked and the resivor was bubbling extremely loud, physically shaking and fluid was coming out of the cap. The temp on the dash was indicating just under halfway on the cooler side.

Anyone have ideas where to troubleshoot next? Oh and also, my Durango has the rear AC as well if that makes a difference.

Totally off topic. While inspecting for leaks I noticed that there was writing on the side of the block in paint pen. After talking with some friends they seem to think that the factory wouldn't have done it and that more than likely it is a crate engine. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Robert Guerena; 07-23-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply sounds like it was still low on coolant. That plastic neck in the top hose is known to fail. The best idea is to replace it every 36 months. Otherwise it WILL leave you stranded somewhere.

IndyDurango

Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the radiator cap and top off your fluids with the engine running and heater on HOT and on HI. You can hold some RPM (like 1500-200) while you do this and it will compress the coolant making room for more. Just hold the RPM's up and fill then be ready to put the cap on when it is full yet with your engine RPM still up.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Robert Guerena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I'm at work right now I will try the two solutions when I get home. Yesterday I tried to "burp" the system and had the hood open when I started it and heard a rhythmic knocking for about a minute then stops. Would this be related to anything. When I replaced the upper hose it came with a new radiator cap. Should buy another? It's only a month old.

Last edited by Robert Guerena; 07-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try the replacement as it should be hopefully correct. You do not "burp" a 5.9L. Do as I instructed.

Quick Reply: Coolant resivor bubbling.