1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tie rod ends/Steering gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Dirtrango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes they go out the bottom BUT BEWARE WHERE YOU HIT IT!!!!! If you hit the edge of the arm where the ball joint fits in you will bend it and it will take you forever to get it rounded out to fit the new one back in.. Get a small solid piece of metal to place on the ball joint end and smack that B!t<h with a 5lb sledge and you should be all good. I just did mine not to long ago so I know the pain in the **** that it can be.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd suggest putting a block of wood under the control arm to keep it supported firmly as to transfer as much energy from the BFH as possible into the balljoint.

Also, PB Blaster is your friend

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM
greasydriveway
Rookie

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips. I have hit it with a BFH, tried a torch, ball joint press and a bunch of other stuff. I now have to admit defeat, swallow my pride, and put on my almost new lower control arm.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greasydriveway
Thank you everyone for the helpful tips. I have hit it with a BFH, tried a torch, ball joint press and a bunch of other stuff. I now have to admit defeat, swallow my pride, and put on my almost new lower control arm.
I've done mine quite a few times, it can be a little difficult with the arm on the truck. It will come out though, if you can't get it with a rachet use an impact wrench.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by Dman98
I've done mine quite a few times, it can be a little difficult with the arm on the truck. It will come out though, if you can't get it with a rachet use an impact wrench.
Be so kind as to explain how you press a ball joint out with an impact wrench?

I took my arm off and used a shop press to push the joint out. It takes quite a lot of force.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

i believe he meant that as in he used an impact to get the lower control arm off. lol.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
srch4me
All Star

Ahh... I just used a ratchet and charter bar for mine

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
greasydriveway
Rookie

Allright. You all convinced me that it was possible. I used a bottle of propane, busted my breaker bar, bent my wrench, and tore up my cheater bar, and finally got that ball joint out. Did anybody here need the special chrysler specific ball joint receiver cups?
The reason I ask is that the new ball joint I put in ended up getting messed up. I believe it might be due to the fact that the ball joint press I borrowed from auto zone maybe doesn't have the right size cup. The side got a little bit mashed and the rubber came off.
Anybody else have this problem?

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends/Steering gear