1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

engine treatment and inner cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine treatment and inner cleaning.

i have heard alot thru this forum about ppl running seafoam thru the intake and in the gas tank. i knew that you could run it thru your gas, but not thru your intake. can anyone tell me how that is done? what do you do just dump some down thru your throttle body? i want to do a valve piston and fuel sys cleaning, just need some help on how to run it thru the intake?
thanks.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

seafoam is burned through the intake by pulling the vacuum hose off the brake booster and sticking it into a can of seafoam with the engine held open to 2000-2500 rpms, you should only need to run 1/3-1/2 a can through like this, and be warned that it will create quite the smoke show

DO NOT POUR ANY LIQUID INTO THE THROTTLE BODY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! doing so will most likely hydrolock your engine (ruin your engine)

Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

yea i would never do anything like that without consulting someone who is knowledgable in it. like you. and thank you very much for the information.
i will be doing that thursday as well as a fresh oil change.
by the way does anyone know if the harbor freight digital timing lights are any good? cuz there really respectfully priced. but i dont want to get it and regrete it.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

seeing as how timing is controlled by the computer in these trucks i dont quite see what your purpose in having one would be unless you have a project car thats old enough to not have a computer in it.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

i thought that you could adjust your timing by slightly turning your distributor either way. mine doesnt have coil packs. and i have watched on youtube, " how to " videos. for the ram & durango 5.2 & 5.9 magnum of ppl using a timing light to adjust there timing.
the reason why i ask is...
i have had on 3 different occasions, my motor really dogs out after first being started and pops like a backfire for a few seconds. then i let off the gas and slightly apply pressure to the gas again and then it picks right back up?
now it has only done it 3 times. and it only happens right after i start it and when i start to pull out of my drive way. i know it cant be the valves or else it would happen more often or all the time.
i have heard that the cam shaft lobes round out after a while and that can cause it. but again it would happen more often or all the time.
so im trying to get all the bugs worked out of this vehicle befor i start the cosmetic work. and i still have quite a long list of mechanical things that need to be done.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing you have to remember about youtube is that any idiot can make and post a video. so while there are so good videos with good information in them on there, there are video with some very bad information on there. The guy with the timing light on the durango or ram is the perfect example... AFAIK, there are no timing marks on these trucks so what the hell was he using to adjust it??

Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam can be applied through the TB while running but don't pour it in directly as mentioned above. The best way is to pour the Seafoam liquid in a cheap spray bottle that has a mist nozzle. Spritz the Seafoam into the TB with the engine running and it'll suck it in without harming anything. BTW, the only benefit to putting Seafoam down the TB is that it can help clean any varnish that is built up keeping the butterflies from sealing against the barrel walls. Outside of that...it won't do anything that sucking it up through the brake hose won't do.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

alrighty so i can either put the seafoam thru the brake hose or lightly mist it thru the t.b.
and on my durango my harmonic balancer has timing marks on it. im not trying to b.s you guys. im just trying to fix a problem i have with my d.
but yea your right anyone who has a camera and access to the net can post a video.
so besides that i found out that there are still 2 recall for the 1998 durangos. well its 1 recall but its for 2 things.
1. is the gas tank straps.
2. rear brake tube.
i beleive its recall #851 or 158.
so if you got a 1998 durango. go talk to your local dealer about getting those 2 things checked.
i got an appt thursday afternoon for them to look at my d.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by krupaeric
alrighty so i can either put the seafoam thru the brake hose or lightly mist it thru the t.b.
and on my durango my harmonic balancer has timing marks on it. im not trying to b.s you guys. im just trying to fix a problem i have with my d.
but yea your right anyone who has a camera and access to the net can post a video.
so besides that i found out that there are still 2 recall for the 1998 durangos. well its 1 recall but its for 2 things.
1. is the gas tank straps.
2. rear brake tube.
i beleive its recall #851 or 158.
so if you got a 1998 durango. go talk to your local dealer about getting those 2 things checked.
i got an appt thursday afternoon for them to look at my d.
Yep, you're right about the timing marks on the harmonic balancer.

You should still be able to enter your VIN on dodge's website and check if there is any outstanding warranty work that needs done still.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

yea i emailed daimler chrysler group and asked if there was any outstanding recalls or waranty work that needed to be done and i got a call back a few days ago about those two things with the gas tank straps and the rear brake tube.
but ugh! today i took my d in to get inspected and it didnt pass, even though when i took it in the check engine light wasnt on and it hasnt been on for quite a long time. i took care of all the exhaust issues. but thay said my cat was toast and both of my brand new o2 sensors were not reading correctly. so i looked at the numbers again thinking i put them in the wrong spot, but i had them both in the right spot. i guess thats what i get for ordering o2 sensors over the net. and the worst part is i cant even return them cuz i used them! ugh!
so my truck is sitting at the mechanics shop, waiting for a new direct fit catalitic converter, and new mopar o2 sensors, which im going to end up paying out the *** for!
there charging me over 350 for the cat and 90 per o2 sensor. plus the install. and i cant do anything about it cuz they took my inspection sticker off. befor they put it on there computer. so i cant even take it home and do the work my self.
i told them about rock auto, but they said they dont do business with them due to some prior issues with them sending the wrong parts, and refusing to take them back. ugh!! i just want to go punch someone really hard!!!!

Quick Reply: engine treatment and inner cleaning.