1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

44re Trans Diagnostic info

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Mackguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44re Trans Diagnostic info

Hi guys new to this forum and durango. Just picked up a duragno as a project and itching to get started on it.
I bought it knowing that the "trans is out of it" drove it home last night and found that at first it seems to shift fine but once it warmed up it would slip really bad to the point it almost stopped, if i did stop it would drive fine again for a few seconds and them start sliping agian. I tried it in manual 1 and 2 and basically the same result. I am expecting to have to pull the trans and rebuild but I would like to do some pressure tests first to point me in the right direction. I found the tread on pressure testing the trans but I am currently with out a service manual for this so I have no visual on the pressure test port locations. Any body have a copy of the FSM or know where I can buy a PDF copy online? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the link to download the '98 FSM --> http://www.mediafire.com/?tn2j29ajin34clr

Personally, i would first dump the fluid, adjust that bands, and refill with fresh ATF+4 and go from there.

Last edited by Old_School; 07-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Mackguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! thanks. I originally was thinking the same thing about changing the oil and filter, adjusting the bands and linkage. But when I started it up today it was making some pretty nasty noises. I will be dropping the pan this week as the first step but based on the grinding i heard probably looking at least at a rebuild.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackguy
Great! thanks. I originally was thinking the same thing about changing the oil and filter, adjusting the bands and linkage. But when I started it up today it was making some pretty nasty noises. I will be dropping the pan this week as the first step but based on the grinding i heard probably looking at least at a rebuild.

your probably right on that but, i have seen trans in the past make some pretty nasty noises and some service turned out ok.

Quick Reply: 44re Trans Diagnostic info