1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Runs fine on initial start - Wants to stall after a minute.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
rmcmahon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs fine on initial start - Wants to stall after a minute.

2003 Dodge Durango 5.9L
4x4

Runs fine on initial start, few minutes later the engine sounds like it want to stall out. It does this on the road and idling. On the road upon trying to give it gas, it feels like it has stalled but then eventually kicks in, apparently with some black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have idled it with the hood up and about 2 minutes after start up I start hearing a buzzing or a repetitive clicking sound followed by what sounds like a gush of air (best guess from an x helicopter guy with super crappy hearing) . The engine sounds like it wants to stall, but never does. After a few minutes everything appears to run fine and I can't duplicate the failure, until I let it cool down for about 20 minutes and start over. No code posting
Things I a have tried:
-New plugs and wires
-Added injector cleaner
-Going to replace the IAC valve today(not certain this is the cause of the initial issue, but I think I smoked it when I tried to test it)

Last edited by rmcmahon; 08-01-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: To see if someone will actually talk to me.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
jlcornell6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem like that awhile ago on my 2000 D. For me it was a vacuum problem i just went throw lines and double checked all my fittings and air hoses and it fixed itself.

Quick Reply: Runs fine on initial start - Wants to stall after a minute.