1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

45RFE Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Cj Ratone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45RFE Transmission Slipping

Help Wanted.... Guys I'm on this site all the time. I have 01 Durango 4.7L, 45RFE transmission. The transmission has been slipping from 3 to 4 gear. I mean is slips for about 2-3 seconds it goes into 4th. I just replaced the both speed sensors and changed the filter and fluid (Valoline ATF+4, $7/qt sheesh).

Question: Should the Valve Body Solenoid be replaced? What about the TPS?

I ordered on ebay from AM-AUTOPARTS a valve body solenoid for my Durango and they sent the wrong one. I received one for a 04 and newer 45 RFE. I did not check the number when it arrived and installed it. The Durango just never ran right and it still slipped as I previously mentioned.

AM-Autoparts acknowledged their mistake and would not do a exchange because it was beyond their 60 day return policy. They are a JOKE!!!! Don't trust them or ever buy anything from those idiots!!!!

Anyway, I'm stuck. Any advise???? Thanks

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not to sure about that trans but, mastertech is our trans expert. hopefully he will chime in here with some advise soon..

Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Cj Ratone

Thanks for the reply,,,,,

MasterTech.... Need your help.

I just read that I can use a 04 valve body (white plug) solenoid if I have the right cam plate for my 45 RFE 99-03 (black plug) transmission. Is that true? Thanks

CJ

Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cj Ratone
Thanks for the reply,,,,,

MasterTech.... Need your help.

I just read that I can use a 04 valve body (white plug) solenoid if I have the right cam plate for my 45 RFE 99-03 (black plug) transmission. Is that true? Thanks

CJ
Might try sending him a PM he may have not seen this..

Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I got the PM, All you have done is the input and output sensors? My next question is the check engine light on? If it is, what are the codes. The most common failure for the 3rd and 4th gears is the metal plate on the side of the valve body. It sometimes breaks the heads off the screws and bends the plate. That allows the accumulators to leak fluid and cause the transmission to slip or not shift at all into 3rd or 4th gears. You can try using a 2004 valve body/solenoid pack, but i would go with the years of the 1st gen durangos.

Last edited by master tech; 08-04-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: adding to story
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Cj Ratone

Master Tech,,,, thanks for the info. Yes the engine light does come on. I have a diagnostic tool and I erase them. The code that comes on the most is P0734 and P1736 now P0733 just came on. I am trying to find the side plate you are referring.

Do you think the TPS may affect it? How about the valve body solenoid cam plate?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Remove the transmission pan and inspect first the plate on the valve body. If the plate is bend, I can get you the part number for the repair kit, cost about 30.00 dollars thru the dealer.

Quick Reply: 45RFE Transmission Slipping