1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering "bump / lump" left and right

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
triplec13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering "bump / lump" left and right

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9L v8, 4X4. About 95,000 miles

Last fall I drove my durango in 4 lo drive about 10 miles before I realized it.

After this board assisted I figured it out..

Since then when I turn left or right it feels like the truck is rolling over a big bump and then with maybe a little force completes the turn with almost a "whip". In addition I think the steering is harder but I can't remember because I don't drive the durango often.

This past winter on a couple of the cold days when I drove it I got a p1740 code if it has anything to do with it. Turned it off and back on and checked it again and no codes.

Summary:

Stiffer steering with a big lump turning left and right. At high speeds no problems with steering. The lump may be more pronounced when at the beginning of a drive.

I will have to take it in to a mechanic to get fix so it will help to understand better what it may be.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM
computergod

i just had pretty much the same problem i own a 2000 durango r/t 5.9 with 155000 and i just changed my intermediate steering shaft and the problems are gone now all i need is an alignment. check the steering shaft by have someone turn the wheel left to right with the truck not running and take a look at the shaft universal joints you will see the pop because they wear out. the shaft costed me $180 shipped from ebay and i did it myself in about 2 hours the driver side wheel needs to come off and the inner fender wheel well the button fasteners broke on me when taking out the wheel well so i just used self taping sheet metal screws to put it back in. good luck

Old 08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
triplec13

Thank you.. will update

Quick Reply: Steering "bump / lump" left and right