1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

At a loss.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
c4715
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a loss.

Installing new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996 into my D. Problem is, wires have been cut and spliced by previous owner. Meaning the wires coming from the engine, tied with A/C connections, the Durango's factory wire harness is missing. The male part. So I can not connect the wire harness that came with the Kenwood. Looked up an 02' wire chart, but those wires are different colors than the ones coming from my engine.

2002 Dodge Durango Car Radio Wiring Diagram from Modified Life

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Blue
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red/White
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black and Black/Light Green
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Black/Yellow
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Orange
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Green
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Red
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Light Blue
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Blue/Red
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Orange

I only have 2 brown wires. No light green or dark green, my green's have color on them. Other colors are different also, just don't remember exactly right now.

Any idea's????

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM
computergod

if you have a junkyard or used parts place near you i would get my hands on a stock harness and wire it back to the durango and then buy the correct wiring harness for aftermarket stereo installation from crutchfield.com or something like that those come with instructions on how to wire and then you just plug the 2 harness's together and everything will work right. if you want to cheap out and rig it up somehow you can strip the wires in the D and use an electric tester to find the constant hot wire then turn the key on and find the switched wire then you need to find your ground wire usually black but if you cant find one just find some metal bracket close by with a nut and you can make your own ground. so now you just need to find the speaker wires take out your speakers and see what color the wires are and they should be the same color in your dash another way to find out what wire control speakers is to use a small AA battery and take one wire and hold it to the possitive side and one wire to the negative side and the speaker will make a small "popping noise"

Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 AM
c4715
Rookie

Originally Posted by computergod
if you have a junkyard or used parts place near you i would get my hands on a stock harness and wire it back to the durango and then buy the correct wiring harness for aftermarket stereo installation from crutchfield.com or something like that those come with instructions on how to wire and then you just plug the 2 harness's together and everything will work right. if you want to cheap out and rig it up somehow you can strip the wires in the D and use an electric tester to find the constant hot wire then turn the key on and find the switched wire then you need to find your ground wire usually black but if you cant find one just find some metal bracket close by with a nut and you can make your own ground. so now you just need to find the speaker wires take out your speakers and see what color the wires are and they should be the same color in your dash another way to find out what wire control speakers is to use a small AA battery and take one wire and hold it to the possitive side and one wire to the negative side and the speaker will make a small "popping noise"
Sounds like a plan. No junk yard for 87 miles, so option 2 it is. Thanks computergod.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would download the 2002 factory service manual from the DIY section of the forum... that will give you the most accurate wire diagram for your truck.

Quick Reply: At a loss.