1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

pinnion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinnion seal replacement

so i was reading up on a few new threads and i didnt want to hijack them, so i figured i would start a new one.
this weekend i will be replacing both my pinion seals as well as cleaning and replacing the differential fluids on both the front and the rear. also i may just embark on the task of replacing my transfer case gasket cuz its leaking tranny fluid.
so i read in the other thread that the pinion nut needs to be torqued at 210 ft/lbs? is that correct? if so i may not be able to do it. lol. im a big guy but i dont have a lift so i wont be able to get it up in the air to get the proper leverage to break the nut free.
also how difficult is it to replace the transfer case gasket? and should it be leaking fluid to begin with? or is the rear main seal on the tranny bad?
and if the tranny is overfilled with fluid will that cause it to leak?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

overfull tranny shouldnt cause a leak, nothing should leak under normal conditions, a little bit of seepage is acceptable, but not a full blown leak.

the 210 ft/lbs sounds about right to me(it might not take that much to get off), but im not looking at the manual right now.

also make sure to put on a new crush sleeve when you do this repair

Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i talked to my mechanic and he told me that it was a simple 20 min job for him up on a lift but more like a 45 min job for on the ground. and he said that if i were replacing the bearings that i would need to replace the crush sleeve. but my bearings are fine. the crush sleeve is there to press the bearing into the correct position. he wasn't to sure about the torque on the nut though. he said he marks everything and counts the threads. so when he is done and he puts the pinion yoke back on he he places it in the exact position is was in before taking it off, but he puts about another 1/16 of a turn o the nut to tighten it up more. now my transfer case leak isn't a leak there is never a puddle but i notice droplets on the transfer case its self so i read up on line and i get the haynes manual and it reccomends that if any leakage is found to replace the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the transfer case. i believe mine may be starting to go. so when i do the pinion seals on the diffs, i will do the transfer case seal as well. and i am replacing the diff fluid and cleaning them out well with brake cleaner. i also noticed today while i was under the front that my front diff air vent hose was disconnected and was hanging so put it back together but i did notice fluid was all over the outside of the shaft so i have no idea how much fluid i lost. good thing im doing all this this week. seals are cheap. all the seals i need not including fluid is around 45 bucks and around 20 for the gear oil and 20 for some more tranny fluid incase i loose some when i do the tranny and transfercase seals.
thanks for the info as always.

Quick Reply: pinnion seal replacement