1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

O2 sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
jmess
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor issues

So I recently replaced my plenum gasket as well as modded my intake(kegger intake mod). My exhaust smells a bit funny now so I decided to plug in my scanner and I have 2 codes. One is Po132
O2 sensor high volts bank 1 sensor 1
This is what my haynes manual says: Oxygen sensor input voltage sustained above the normal operating range.*

The other is Po135
02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
Haynes manual says this: Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction

To my understanding the first code means that I have a lean mixture. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have no idea about to other code however. Any advise on how to fix either one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

The heating element automatically heats the end of the O2 sensor up to operating temperature, that way as the exhaust gets hotter, the O2 sensor can adjust as it needs to. Example(just for reference), if the normal exhaust gas temperature is 500 degrees after driving around for lets say 30 minutes, when you start the vehicle, the O2 sensor automatically heats itself to 500 degrees, so as the the exhaust gases get to that temperature, it tells the computer to adjust. if that heating element is heating up with the exhaust gas, it's telling the computer to adjust the fuel mixture because it thinks the exhaust gas is not hot enough. I would just replace the O2 sensor, then clear the code.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
jmess
Veteran

Is it possible that my mixture is too lean because of the hearing issue?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

Yeah, definitely..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the O2 sensor with a NTK or Desno sensor only, which is the drivers side pre-cat sensor, then reset the PCM and enjoy. I would also the the passenger side but each to their own. You are getting a bad connection at the O2 sensor or there is just too much flow now and it can't see it. Regardless you need to reset the PCM, I have the instructions here: http://www.dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-...ine-light.html

You can order Desno from www.rockauto.com for 1/2 price, just make sure you get the OE style, not the universal!

Quick Reply: O2 sensor issues