1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

distributor cap question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Nicholas Frenier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor cap question

okay guys im a little bit of a do it yourselfer and ive done all the work so far to my truck. i got an 02 durango with the 360 and tomorrow im gonna do the plugs cap rotor and wires now the problem i have is the cap how do i know what cylinder goes to what? i heard its clockwise so does that mean it goes 1-8 in a circle or like the firing order says 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2? help would be really appreciated

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Maunster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this a couple weeks ago too!

It goes clockwise in firing order as you said, not 1 -> 8.

Most people say to replace one wire at a time so you get them back in the same order, but I found it way too cramped back there for that, so just made sure I followed the firing order when i wired it back up and put the "1" on the cap in the same place as it was prior to removal.

Obviously, if your wires are different lengths, put the shorter ones on higher number cylinders.

Have fun!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

1 is usually marked on the cap. The easiest thing would be to pay attention to what wires go where (marking them would make things easier) and make sure they go back in the right place. Draw yourself a diagram if you need to. The order should be the same as the firing order.

Also, make sure you use champion copper plugs.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Nicholas Frenier

okay thanks guy and im using champion platinum plus is that a bad thing to use for this truck?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Maunster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicholas Frenier
okay thanks guy and im using champion platinum plus is that a bad thing to use for this truck?
Yes, you'll want to stick with Champion copper plugs as mentioned by that_guy.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

Isn't the #1 marked on the cap? I line the cap how it's gonna go on, and pull the plug wires off 1 at a time on to the new cap, once I have the wires plugged in to the new cap, then take the old one off, replace the rotor, making sure you put it on exactly how you took it off, then put the cap on bolt it down. you can put dielectric grease on all the points, outside the cap and inside...will keep it from corroding..also put that stuff on the tips of the plugs as well(not the bottom of the plug..the top), will prevent the plug wire from getting frozen(for lack of a better term) to the spark plug...keeps moisture out too...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure the #1 on the cap is on the same side as your old one and in the same place. Then mark the #1 wire and tape with marks 1-8 all the way around clock wise on each wire after that. Then pull the old cap off. Now put #1 back on #1 and go clock wise to put them back on in order and remove your tape with markings so that it doesn't actually mess you up when actually working on the vehicle because the markings don't represent the actual cylinders.

I don't use dielectric grease on any of it, to me it just messes with connections, and that is just my opinion. I also don't use anti-seize on the plugs either, but I replace mine once every 15k so they don't become stuck anyway. Again, just my opinion.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 AM
tank99Dango
Professional

Dielectric grease has ZERO chance of messing with electrical connections. It is chemically neutral, not sure why you had bad luck with it. I was laid off a couple months ago, ran into my old boss on the golf course. He told me that he was glad I made the suggestion to use it on their machines..they were blowing through sensors on some of the machines every 2 weeks because of the type of liquid they had to use on the aluminum trim machine...been over 8 months since they had to touch it...I would recommend the grease on electrical connections...moisture causes corrosion, corrosion ultimately leads to bad electrical connection causing failure...dielectric grease prevents moisture, thus no corrosion...not sure the down side hydra? lol

Quick Reply: distributor cap question