1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The 45RFE and the 545RFE overdrive circuits are part of the valve body. They are called accumulators and there five of them. All of them are held into the bores with a steel plate. You also have a solenoid pack that bolted to the top of the valve body, thats called the TRS( transmission range sensor). There are three seals on top of the valve body that i have seen split and cause shifting problems.

The 46RE has the front and rear drums that has clutch packs in each drum. That is the only clutch packs in the front half on the transmission. In the back half you have the overdrive clutch pack and the direct clutch pack. What the member was talking about is the main shaft that goes thru the sun gear and shell and in to the overdrive unit that feeds the direct clutch assy. The overdrive pistion is applyed by the valve body. And that will apply the clutches. Sorry for being long winded.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Endgame26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update here: I checked my fluid level and saw I was pretty far below the hot mark after driving a decent distance home from work, so i went out and bought some fluid (haven't put any in yet). The reason I think it is the transmission and not the TC is because I do not feel the shift, I watch it happen on the tach (OD around 60mph is around 1700rpm for me, whereas 3rd/4th gear (not sure which) is around 2200rpm). When I hit a bump I don't feel like i'm moving any faster or slower, the tach just revs back up to 22-2300 and quickly shifts back to the normal 17-1800

Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would replace the Transmission Output sensor and check the fluid level. Sorry but that sensor is usually the fix for shifting issues, it's what tells the transmission when to shift. The other is also the TPS or TV Cable adjustment, but I don't think the TV cable is out.

I know that's my fix for everything transmission, but hey it ,and it's only like $30 bucks and 5 minutes replacing it.

Quick Reply: Truck won't stay in overdrive, over-sensitive transmission?