Annette Cooper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help please

need help installing jensen uv10 in 99 durango in laymen terms

Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

to get to the factory radio you just pull the dash bezel off, then I think there are two brackets holding the factory radio in place, but I don't remember for sure. You're going to need a radio installation kit to both mount the new unit and cover up the gap that will be left around new radio. You'll also want a factory harness adapter that will work with your new radio, which is usually available from the manufacturer.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Wall mart sells the harness adapter and the mounting kit. I don't remember what size the antenna plugs are but you may need an adapter for that too. Just have to look and see. Some antennas have a tiny little plug that won't fit your radio

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

my sony xplod radio didn't need an adapter for the antenna

Old 08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I just did replace the radio in my durango, hopefully this helps

1. turn the key to the on position, lower the stearing wheel as low as it will go, as well as put the gear shift all the way in first gear...

2. The dash bezel is held in place by clips, there are slots in the dash that the bezel pushes in to, be careful not to pull to hard and break the bezel, as it is only plastic. after getting the bezel off, disconnect the negative battery terminal

3. Once the bezel is off, the factory radio is held into position by 2 bolts/screws. Remove those and you can pull the radio out far enough to disconnect the harness..there is a large plug on the left, and a small ground wire with a black connector on the right, as well as the antenna.

4. Yes, make sure you buy the correct adapter for Chrysler...the plug in for your new stereo, and the adapter are the same color wires...so it will be easy connecting those together. even though the blue wires say "power antenna"...connect them any way, especially if you have a factory Infinity stereo system..the blue wire is the trigger wire for the factory amplifier. Dash kit number if you get it at WalMart is CJ2086 and the wire adapter is CR02B...those are schosche numbers, if you go elsewhere, they may have Metra brand..same thing

5. After you have the new radio's harness and the adapter all wired together, go ahead and slide the stereo into the dash kit. The metal sleeve for the cd player has tabs...you will have to pull up 2 tabs on the top, and two on the bottom to keep the radio from sliding around.

6. The black plug that was attached to the back of the factory stereo...on the back of the new stereo on the right side, you will see what looks like a tab, with a small hole, I bent that tab out, and attached the black plug to that tab...you should not need an antenna adapter..I did not use one.

7. plug everything in, and loosely secure the stereo to the dash..don't bolt it back in all the way, and replace the negative terminal on the battery..turn the key to make sure it powers on, and you have tunes...if it does, just finish bolting the dash kit in place, and put the bezel back on..

Good luck!